Gransnet forums

Food

Need ideas for veggie and gluten free visitor coming to stay!

(5 Posts)
bluebellgray Tue 21-Jun-16 17:10:09

My goddaughter is both a vegetarian and a gluten free eater - our family is neither and so I really need to know what I should prepare along side our meals while she is visiting from the USA.

Simple ideas and things I should have in the fridge for her would be much appreciated!
confused smile

suzied Tue 21-Jun-16 17:18:07

Jacket potatoes with cheese and beans or salad
Rice noodles with stir fry
Veggie curries/ chillies/ sushi/ rice
Spanish omelette
Frittata
Gluten free pasta with tomato / aubergines/ courgettes / pesto etc
Ice cream/ fruit / yoghurt
Maybe ask her what she likes?

Jane10 Tue 21-Jun-16 17:38:36

There's a good website called glutenfreefablife. Try googling it. There's lots of interesting ideas on it. I don't have probs with gluten but I like the food on this website.

Parsleywin Tue 21-Jun-16 17:55:41

It is a bit of a challenge when you have to provide different meals. I'd suggest -

A couple of tasty, well flavoured veggie cheeses like Godminster. Great for lunches or grating over main courses.

Pouches of pulses and/or grains - there are lots of good ones now like Puy lentils or quinoa and wild rice. These are brilliant to have on standby for either hot dishes with a herby tomato sauce, or as salads with a few chopped veg and a dressing.

Some veggie chilled supermarket foods like falafels or arancini, but I wouldn't recommend ready meals like lasagne etc.

Maybe also think about doing a couple of completely veggie meals for all the family to share, so that your god daughter doesn't always feel like the awkward squad!

If baking is your thing, gluten free flour and baking powder are available in supermarkets now and there are lots of recipes on t'interwebs.

I hope both she and you will enjoy her visit and have some happy meals together!

M0nica Wed 22-Jun-16 08:51:51

Risottos and salads galore. Most supermarkets do a range of gluten free breads, cakes and biscuits