Gransnet forums

Food

Pickled beetroot

(12 Posts)
miep Sun 10-Jul-16 13:57:40

My next-door neighbour's wife is very ill and upset that she can't do all the things she normally does, such as most of the cooking and sorting out her hanging baskets. She was very upset about the baskets, so I went and bought two of the best ready-planted ones I could; problem solved. This morning, the husband, who is in his seventies and just as lovely as his wife, asked me if I could pickle some beetroot for him. Of course, I said 'yes' and said beetroot are now soaking to get some of the mud off them.I haven't pickled a beetroot in years and can't remember how...please come someone help? Some of the beetroot are babies and some about the size of a dogs ball. I have pickling vinegar and know how to sterilise the jars...but the how long to cook the beetroot for etc. I have forgotten.

annsixty Sun 10-Jul-16 14:18:57

I would have said an hour in salted water for both sizes actually. Don't forget not to cut into the beets at all or they will bleed. Good luck. You are a good neighbour.

Teetime Sun 10-Jul-16 14:23:39

Would love to help I really would but Pickled Beetroot is the work of Beelzebub!!!! Can you Google it?

miep Sun 10-Jul-16 14:24:20

Thanks, annsixty, I will let you know how I get on!

kittylester Sun 10-Jul-16 14:26:03

What Teetime said.

Badenkate Sun 10-Jul-16 14:29:56

To be honest miep, the first thing I would have done is to google it! How nice of you to help your neighbours

TriciaF Sun 10-Jul-16 15:04:59

Our beetroots are ready now and I've just been boiling them until tender. They're very sweet.
I've never done pickled beetroot, so as others have said, Google it.
I prefer plain boiled, but if your neighbour prefers pickled, so be it. Very kind of you miep.

Maggiemaybe Sun 10-Jul-16 15:46:47

I've only pickled beetroot once, as a newlywed with MIL coming for tea and I knew she loved it. Lord knows what I was thinking of, but I didn't know I'd to boil it first. My lovely MIL nearly choked trying not to laugh, after she'd nearly choked trying to eat it.

cornergran Sun 10-Jul-16 17:00:19

Used to do it back in the day, probably havent for over 30 years so can't remember but Google will know. Hope it works out, you are certainly a good neighbour and I am sure they will appreciate you trying. Just had a thought, if your neighbour is at home and well enough for a chat why not ask her for her own special way of doing it - flattering and gets you out of a hole. Of course if she isn't well enough for that back to Google it is.

hildajenniJ Sun 10-Jul-16 17:25:40

Cook beetroot until just tender. Leave to go cold then slice and put into sterilised jars. In a saucepan bring white wine vinegar, sugar, pickling spices (coriander seeds, peppercorns etc). to the boil. Pour over the beetroot and seal the jars. Leave for at least two weeks, then enjoy.
Personally, I prefer jellied beetroot.

miep Sun 10-Jul-16 17:32:05

I boiled the beetroot dry, NOT a good start! So I cut the burnt bits off and tasted the rest (fine) and then followed a very old recipe for beetroot in pickled jelly. My thinking was that it was unlikely to be comparable to her usual method so might be OK as something completely different?

carerof123 Sun 10-Jul-16 18:35:08

hildajennieJ--- Jellied beetroot i have never heard of that, how do you make it please.