Gransnet forums

Food

For the cake lovers out there ....

(22 Posts)
NonnaW Mon 15-Aug-16 18:19:01

I sae this and thought it might be a good tip ...

hulahoop Mon 15-Aug-16 18:21:38

Very good nonna although might share with oh if I was feeling generous

Thingmajig Mon 15-Aug-16 18:39:22

That particular piece of cake looks yummy!!!

Mumsy Tue 16-Aug-16 07:14:24

Asda do black cherry muffins 2 for £1 with a little whipped cream on top they taste just like black forest gateaux.

hildajenniJ Tue 16-Aug-16 08:51:51

It's absolutely the only, and best way to eat cake. That is why I rarely bake! DH sometimes buys cake, but has to hide it! ?

Teetime Tue 16-Aug-16 08:57:03

Indeed that is so true but also improved with a large dollop of cream.

morethan2 Tue 16-Aug-16 09:45:31

I could do that. There's a cafe in town were I meet old friends now and again they make Guinness and chocolate cake, sounds odd but I thought I'd give it a go and it was the best chocolate cake I've ever had. Yummy.

ClaraB Tue 16-Aug-16 09:54:44

This reminds me I'm having a cakeathon this week.
Yesterday was a WI visit to our local MS Centre where we were given cake after a very informative tour of the centre which made me feel how very lucky I am. Today I am meeting a friend at John Lewis so that we can use up our August hot drink and cake voucher. Tomorrow is visiting elderly parents day and my Dad's wife will be providing the usual donuts. On Thursday we have our WI cream tea party, on Friday I think I will have to fast.

Ness57 Tue 16-Aug-16 09:55:33

Love the photo! ???

Smithy Tue 16-Aug-16 10:20:33

Yum! My biggest weakness in life is cake!

pensionpat Tue 16-Aug-16 10:25:45

And our social life seems to always include cake. And you can't risk offending anyone with a refusal!

Lilyflower Tue 16-Aug-16 10:55:04

I make a cake so we can have some every day. I feel that, as well as adding 100% extra enjoyment to my family's lives, I am doing my bit to thwart the health police. I generally alternate between lemon cake, coffee and walnut and fruit cake. However, on Saturday I made a fresh cream fat free sponge with fresh strawberries and today I made a batch of rich fruit scones.

Obviously I do think that 'everything in moderation' is the way to go and I wouldn't advocate eating nothing but cake. However, cake is one of life's great pleasures.

annodomini Tue 16-Aug-16 11:08:51

The best thing about our book group is the cake! Apart from the books, that is!

Sheilasue Tue 16-Aug-16 12:49:48

Always make my own cakes very rarely buy them and my grandaughter loves home made as well as H

hildajenniJ Tue 16-Aug-16 13:20:41

Further to my post above, I do bake, I also make a very good drop scone. The DGC look forward to my visits as I make them for breakfast. Drop scones that is, not grandchildren.?

Ilrina Tue 16-Aug-16 14:10:47

I like to make cakes too, the bought ones just are always a disappointment, although we do have a home bake shop where I live and hers are usually pretty good if I am short of time. I normally just do mine in a loaf tin, alternate between orange and coconut sprinkled with icing sugar when still warm, and a chocolate one which I also squeeze an orange into to make it lovely and moist. I put orange butter icing just on the top of the chocolate cake.

Kateykrunch Tue 16-Aug-16 14:50:19

Skipped past this topic, but had to return to look, as it mentioned cake!...

rosesarered Tue 16-Aug-16 16:15:34

Mmmmmmn, cake!?????
Had the best cake ever this morning, in the cafe at Batsford Arboretum ( Cotswolds)
Sticky date and apple cake...it's one of those that you eat going "mmmn, mmmmn".
Eating our elevenses we watched a woman of our age come in with a huge greyhound on a leash. ( not sure about dogs in cafes, but they allow it) Anyway, the cakes are all safely behind glass cases, but there was a big plate of scones on the counter, and while this lady perused the menu, the dog had a good old sniff of all the scones, it's head on the same level as them.

grannybuy Tue 16-Aug-16 16:29:56

Love making cakes, and always have a few in the freezer. We moved house recently, and had to eat a lot of cake in a fairly short time when freezer had to be defrosted. A tip for cake makers - when making basic Victoria sponge cake, (which I make into chocolate, coffee, lemon and almond as well), cut down on the the butter. This gives a lighter, closer textured cake. eg I use 175g flour, 175g caster sugar and only 125g butter, plus 2 eggs and a little milk to soften the mixture.

Parsleywin Tue 16-Aug-16 19:35:08

NonnaW. Thank you! I absolutely love a foolproof technical cake tip. You are clearly an expert, and I greatly appreciate you sharing your wealth of knowledge. I plan to cut out and save this vital information immediately, so that I am never without it. wink wink wink

MaggieMay60 Tue 16-Aug-16 19:41:05

NonnaW. that is obviously a tip that my DH has read as nothing lasts long enough to go stale, sometimes it is lucky to reach the cake tin! I have to put a label on it if I have baked for a cake stall otherwise he would eat it!

rosesarered Tue 16-Aug-16 20:39:32

grin shows that you make excellent cakes!