Gransnet forums

Food

Halomi

(32 Posts)
grannylyn65 Sat 10-Sep-16 08:14:54

Just got some for first time. Found quite rubbery and bland so what am I doing wrong???

Maggiemaybe Tue 13-Sep-16 18:51:48

We've just discovered halloumi soldiers for our boiled eggs - lovely!

boheminan Sun 11-Sep-16 13:47:43

My 'local' round the corner has on its menu 'Battered Halloumi, chips 'n' peas', it's lovely, very popular, and makes a change from the usual Pub Grub standard - 'Vegetarian Lasagne'...

grannylyn65 Sun 11-Sep-16 13:40:42

Aurelia ???

Alishka Sun 11-Sep-16 13:18:53

riverwalk... SNAP! And how senseless is this? We are being bombarded with facts (or 'facts') about the perils of excessive sugar in our diets on the one hand, then bombarded with cookery and foodie programmes on the tele on the other? Madness, I reckon.

Halloumi, tho, I 'get' and like, tho not in its slapped-on-a-plate as is, state. Needs at least grilling and tarting up a bit.

Aurelia Sun 11-Sep-16 12:44:30

Ultimate Halloumi
Cut into slices, dip in beaten egg till well covered, roll in semolina till well coated.
Fry in olive oil till golden.
Serve drizzled with runny honey.
Enjoy! wine

Riverwalk Sat 10-Sep-16 14:23:49

I don't get .... cakes!

Everywhere you go there are cakes, coffee & cakes, cake shops, Mary effin' Berry, cakes, recipes, cakes, cakes, cakes..... shock

Can't remember the last time I ate a cake!

feel better now

grannylyn65 Sat 10-Sep-16 14:17:50

Ok, will get griddling and frying !! Ta grin

Grannyknot Sat 10-Sep-16 13:59:20

This thread could be called "Foods I don't get".

I don't get ... croissants. They always collapse when you try to cut or tear them. They're just flim flam.

Maybe I need to go to France to be converted grin

But I do like haloumi. I griddle it and add it to salads.

Irma Sat 10-Sep-16 13:25:46

I love halloumi, cooked on griddle

hildajenniJ Sat 10-Sep-16 12:09:59

I love halloumi cheese. It's great with Mediterranean dishes and north African food.

Neversaydie Sat 10-Sep-16 12:05:14

I find it curiously addictive ...

Humbertbear Sat 10-Sep-16 12:00:48

We love griddled halloumi with asparagus. We also griddle or shallow fry, chop up and add to salads. It's also great on a portobello mushroom in a bun. Tasteless? It's divine!

annodomini Sat 10-Sep-16 11:12:54

I had a halloumi 'burger' recently. It really is like chewing rubber - though I don't do that very often - and seems to have no detectable flavour of its own: rather like tofu, it takes on the taste of the other ingredients, like chilli, so I don't really see the point of it.

Ruthyo Sat 10-Sep-16 10:58:48

Sliced and griddlled then served with couscous and roasted Meditteranean veg! Yummy!

Witzend Sat 10-Sep-16 10:10:42

Slice and fry or grill it. Delish with cherry tomatoes and maybe some cucumber. I often have just that for lunch.

I first came across it when living in Cyprus, too. I will only buy Cypriot halloumi - have occasionally bought from elsewhere and it wasn't nearly as nice.

gettingonabit Sat 10-Sep-16 09:56:47

grin jugger.

I'm old fashioned, me. I prefer cheese to be cheesy. Like Cheddar. Halloumi is like rubber. I don't really " get " Camembert, either. Particularly baked.

NonnaW Sat 10-Sep-16 09:55:18

Fell in love with this when we lived in Cyprus. My kids called it squeaky cheese too. Love it fried, grilled or uncooked with olives. Mmm, might need to get some now smile

Juggernaut Sat 10-Sep-16 09:53:24

We love Halloumi, delicious griddled then drizzled with sweet chilli sauce!

Going off thread just a tad......What does the cheese say when it sees itself in a mirror? 'Hallou Me'!

thatbags Sat 10-Sep-16 09:49:24

Er... what's halloumi? I'll go and look at river's link blush

Riverwalk Sat 10-Sep-16 09:47:00

Halloumi lovers in the lead ... grin

gillybob Sat 10-Sep-16 09:30:37

We eats lots of Halloumi too. DGC love it and call it squeeky cheese . Delicious done on the griddle, BBQ or lightly fried .

DanniRae Sat 10-Sep-16 09:04:09

No, don't like it at all. Squeaky and tasteless, but the rest of my family love it when it's cooked on the bbq. Mind you my taste buds are pretty useless nowadays so I need strong flavours.

Riverwalk Sat 10-Sep-16 08:57:23

I love (squeaky) halloumi! There are loads of recipes including:

Halloumi

I fry in olive oil until golden brown.

I've never known it eaten uncooked - maybe some people do.

gettingonabit Sat 10-Sep-16 08:53:53

Halloumi is one of those foods I just don't "get". Like polenta, quinoa, broccoli, cauliflower rice, gluten free bread.

Gagagran Sat 10-Sep-16 08:50:47

Slice and grill it and serve with sweet chilli sauce. It is quite chewy though.