Gransnet forums

Food

How often do you have dessert?

(87 Posts)
TinyTwo Thu 15-Sep-16 16:50:45

I was quite shocked to realise that my 5 yr old DGD has it twice a day. She has it with her school dinner and then again with the childminder at tea time. It's only small and sometimes just a mini custard pot or something but even so... She's very active and healthy otherwise but I think that's too much and is conditioning her to expect pudding after every meal. Why do schools offer a pudding after school dinners anyway? Do kids need it? And I'm not against treats by the way, I have a very sweet tooth. But I have dessert occasionally (and love it when I do) not after every meal.

miep Mon 19-Sep-16 12:25:48

We always have homemade ice cream in the freezer (BFF would throw a paddy if there wasn't)and we have some about three times a week, with fruit/cake/sauce. If we don't have a pud, I have 3 chocolate digestives in bed - don't know what BFF has, but the chocolate seems to disappear from the fridge very fast!

JackyB Mon 19-Sep-16 12:05:51

I like to plan a pudding after a meal, there are so many lovely recipes out there I want to try. But usually I have to give up altogether halfway through the main course, and push the plate across the table to DH, so a pudding is really wasted on me.

DH can't get his head round the idea of a hot pudding - it's just not done in Germany. I would so love a crumble occasionally (instead of the main course, perhaps), but it seems daft doing it for one!

bunny17 Mon 19-Sep-16 11:53:15

unfortunately I have two separate tummies - a dinner tummy and a sweet tummy. However full the dinner tummy is, I can always fit something in the sweet tummy.

thatbags Sat 17-Sep-16 12:51:02

First sentence is reply to title.

thatbags Sat 17-Sep-16 12:50:37

Once in a blue moon. I usually find that one course is enough at once. If I want pudding I have it instead of something else. Yesterday, for instance, I made some custard and finished off a leftover helping of apple and blackberry crumble for breakfast.

kinjil Sat 17-Sep-16 12:47:35

A meal is made up of 'courses'. I have always from childhood had sweet/pudding after main meal. Usually stewed/fresh fruit in season with custard or ice cream, yogurt, a pot of something if in hurry (lazy!). Don't make pies, maybe a crumble in winter very occasionally if time on a Sunday.

Witzend Sat 17-Sep-16 10:42:15

Monica, I'm glad I'm not the only one!
I really dislike like milk, cream and yoghurt.
Wish people didn't assume that everybody likes cream!
Have been to,people's houses where they have gone to a lot of trouble to make 3 lovely puds - all slathered with cream. I hate seeming like a miserable fussy eater (cream and meat fat are about the only things I really don't like) but I just can't eat them.
Actually there are quite a few people who don't like it.

Ditto milk in tea - always have to say no milk, otherwise people nearly always assume you want it and won't ask. Tea with milk tastes vile to me. I suppose it's a genetic thing - my father was a lot worse than me, wouldn't touch anything that even looked as if it had milk or cream in it. For so many years my mother would hiss, 'Get Daddy out of the kitchen!' so she could carry on pretending the Yorkshire pud he loved had no milk in it!

caramel Sat 17-Sep-16 09:06:17

I usually have a yoghurt mid afternoon as that is when I need a little extra energy. I think children should be allowed one sweet treat a day. As a family we would have one "proper" pudding a week usually after a fish dish because that is a lighter meal.

cornergran Fri 16-Sep-16 22:55:44

Me? Every day I fancy one! grin.

Barmyoldbat Fri 16-Sep-16 22:13:04

And if you didn't eat up all your dinner or lunch then no pudding because you couldn't be hungry!

starbird Fri 16-Sep-16 20:27:16

When I was growing up our main meal was lunchtime every day, whether at home or at school, and we always had a pud - eg jam roly poly, steamed suet puddings, a tart or milk pudding like semolina with a spoonful of jam. Tea was bread and marge with cheese or jam, a packet of crisps was an occasional treat, and we were allowed one home made cake, but on Sundays we also had jelly or blacmange as a treat, or junket - who remembers that? and instead of fairy cakes or rock buns, there was one large Spnge or sandwich cake.

Nowadays I always have to have something sweet after dinner (in the evening) but it is usually fresh fruit and/or yogurt , however today because I did my weekly shop, it was a ready made dessert of chocolate covered profiteroles in a pot with a caramel sauce and fresh cream - I scraped the pot clean!

Ilrina Fri 16-Sep-16 20:07:51

not really into Puds, but we normally have cheese and biscuits, usually only one water biscuit though and a bot of cheese on top, not alot, then coffee and always a square or two of choccie.

Barmyoldbat Fri 16-Sep-16 19:32:50

Yes, yes, I have done that starters and a lovely pudding. Have a sweet tooth and a small appetite, it's the blessing of being an adult and not a kid, you can eat what and how you want.

Wobblybits Fri 16-Sep-16 19:21:36

Fig crumble with single Elmlea tonight (anything to use up the figs)

M0nica Fri 16-Sep-16 18:41:42

We usually have fruit, fresh or stewed, after both lunch and supper, but I usually do a crumble or similar on Sundays. DH usually puts plain yoghourt on his stewed fruit. My loathing of yoghourt is on a par with my loathing of fresh milk, so I just eat the fruit as it comes

Grandmama Fri 16-Sep-16 18:36:15

At primary school I went home at dinnertime but at grammar school we had a formal two course meal every day usually a stodgy pud with custard. No pupils were overweight. As a child we always had pudding at home and when my girls lived at home we had pudding and custard every day - when friends came to tea they always commented on our puds and custard. We still have puds when anyone comes, sometimes DH and I have pud (always on Sundays), at the moment we are having puds to eat the apples and blackberries from the garden. There is always home-made cake in the tin. Both girls (in their thirties now) and granddaughters have never been overweight and none of them have tooth fillings. I love puds (No, I'm not overweight!).

nancyma Fri 16-Sep-16 18:10:57

Fresh fruit salad with Greek yoghurt. Aurelia can I come too, it will only take a few moments to pack ! Rhubarb and orange compote bliss .....

Irma Fri 16-Sep-16 17:21:39

We have yogurt but I'd rather have steamed puddings, rice pudding, tapioca or anything fattening

Bijou Fri 16-Sep-16 16:57:36

I like fruit crumble. Served with crime fraiche.I make a big jar of crumble mix and keep it in the fridge. Sometimes have a pot of Ambrosia rice with stewed fruit. Bread and butter pudding made with fruit bread. I remember creamy rice pudding with the nutmeggy skin on ,the top.

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Sep-16 16:42:46

Never when we're on our own, unless it's stewed, baked or raw fruit from the allotment. I do snack on fresh fruit all day long though, and have a portion of Greek yoghurt with breakfast. I make proper puddings if anyone's eating with us.

We had lunch out today on the Clubcard vouchers, and had £4 to spare after our mains, so we shared a three scoop of gelato. One coconut icecream, one honey and marscapone and a lemon sorbet. To die for smile

Legs55 Fri 16-Sep-16 16:31:36

Usually fruit especially at the moment, spoilt for choice but Nectarines are my favourites so juicy. Occassionally something sweet like Tiramisu or Cheesecake or maybe a scrumptious cream cake. cupcake

I also love cheese & biscuits after a meal. Don't make puddings these days as I'm on my own (I do miss cooking for my late DH). sad

busilizzie Fri 16-Sep-16 16:30:33

yes jinglebellsfrocks. I usually eat out once a week,and depending where we go, its's usually just a main course. But sometimes it's starter and a pud, or maybe a main each and 1 pud with 2 spoons !

At home I usually have berries of some sort or mixed and low or non fat yoghurt for pud.

Jane10 Fri 16-Sep-16 14:54:41

I really really prefer yoghurt and fresh fruit over creamy cakey things.
GCs seem to live on sugar as far as I can see sad

pollyperkins Fri 16-Sep-16 14:34:46

Like some others I have a sweet tooth and usually have something sweet after meals- usually a yoghurt at lunchtime and fresh fruit and creme fresh in the evening( stewed fruit and custard in winter.) Funnily enough I dont always have dessert in restaurants as H likes a starter so I usually have one too and I'm too full for pudding then. Anyway I dont fancy the stodgy ones these days like sticky toffee pudding and wish they would have fruit salad or something else light on the menu.
I do find the portions are too big in restaurants and Since going to weightwatchers (and losing two stone) i have learnt to stop eating when Im full. Used to think I should finish it all as that is how I was brought up and it seemed a waste to leave it!
I agree that we always had pudding twice a day as children and were not fat so can't see the harm as long as they have plenty of exercise. I think we are all getting too obsessed about food and obesity these days. One Of my DiLs doesnt allow the children any sweet things which I think is a shame. Her children are thin as Rakes. The other probably lets hers have too many sweet things but they are all healthy and not overweight.
I think obsity is caused by lack of exercise and maybe over sweetened fizzy drinks which we didn't have. Lots of snacks/sweets between meals are bad too but think a small dessert at meals is fine.

Sheilasue Fri 16-Sep-16 14:33:23

Yogurt mostly or fresh fruit and sometimes cheese and biscuits. I do make apple crumble or chocolate cake for weekends