Gransnet forums

Food

THAT Cake

(19 Posts)
rosesarered Tue 01-Nov-16 23:18:07

An hour ago just took out my Christmas cake from the oven,OMG does it smell good!
It's sat cooling now , and I want a slice.....just to test.wink
Anyone else made one?

Shanma Tue 01-Nov-16 23:49:09

I used to make a Christmas Cake every year when Son was at home, and therefore lots of boys coming to the house to polish everything off!

We are not mad on Christmas Cake, but strangely I agree with you about the wonderful smell, it permeates the whole house, and is kind of comforting, if that makes sense. I don't make them anymore now.
I do bake every week though, just a simple loaf cake for us in various flavours.

mumofmadboys Wed 02-Nov-16 00:42:27

I have made mine too! Wonderful smell!

gillybob Wed 02-Nov-16 07:21:24

I no longer make Christmas cake but when I did I always made "testers" that could be eaten straight away. The hardest part was waiting for them to cool down enough to eat. I do miss making them and that gorgeous aroma but pointless now as it would only waste and they are not exactly cheap to make.

cornergran Wed 02-Nov-16 07:35:10

The ingredients for ours are on the shopping list for tomorrow. Always a separate taster or there would be a very strangely shaped cake come Christmas Day.grin. I love doing it. Just a small cake now, but not Christmas without it.

Teetime Wed 02-Nov-16 08:58:20

I have put Saturday aside to make mine- doing Mary Berry's this year.

Candlefran Wed 02-Nov-16 09:00:31

Today is my day to make Xmas puds. Cake next seek.

Candlefran Wed 02-Nov-16 09:01:04

Sorry. I meant next week.

KatyK Wed 02-Nov-16 10:00:15

I am making one with my granddaughter this week. I have never made one before and I am a little nervous!

SueDonim Wed 02-Nov-16 13:32:41

I made two last week. Xmas puds this week!

Candlefran Wed 02-Nov-16 13:57:57

My puds are bubbling away. I gave to keep them topped up till 10.30 tonight!

nonnasusie Wed 02-Nov-16 14:14:28

I made mine 2 weeks ago!!

hildajenniJ Wed 02-Nov-16 14:26:42

My Christmas cakes are a disaster. I couldn't make a good one to save my life. I have resorted to buying them or asking kindly sisters in law to make one for me.

purpletulip Wed 02-Nov-16 15:10:15

I always make two. One for us and one for my daughter and her family

TriciaF Wed 02-Nov-16 15:20:53

Similar to gillybob - when I made them I did enough for one big cake, and a small one for a taster.

whitewave Wed 02-Nov-16 16:08:10

I adore Christmas cake, but am now gluten free unfortunately. I tried making one last year, but it ended up looking like bread pudding, so bought one from Marks instead. But like you rose there is nothing like the smell.

Nana3 Wed 02-Nov-16 23:16:22

Mine is sitting cooling too.

Nelliemoser Wed 02-Nov-16 23:28:56

I made mine last Saturday. I realised there is about 750 grams of dried fruit of various types in mine. and 225g of flour.
I have always used my Dairy cook book recipe.
The smell of the mixture is lovely. It does keep well though.

rubylady Thu 03-Nov-16 03:52:22

I've bought a tin to do one in and some ingredients, but not the rest yet. Instead of treacle I have got syrup as I don't like treacle. And no nuts due to allergy. But cherries in kirsch, mmmm, yummy.

My DS doesn't like fruit cake so we haven't had one for a long time, hence me pushing the boat out and making one as I'll be on my own. It's not a big one, obviously as I'd not be able to move after and would be bored eating it after a while but big enough for a couple of afternoon treats.

I'm decorating it in the fashion of a Christmas tree bauble. What will you be putting on the top of yours?