Gransnet forums

Food

Pumpkins

(8 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 04-Nov-16 14:36:11

Lidl were clearing the post Halloween pumpkins today for an unbelievable 10p each.
Mine is huge - have made a big pan of pumpkin soup and I have diced the rest of the pumpkin and frozen it to make soup at Christmas.
Don't we all just love a bargain like that? It has made my dat?

mrsmopp Fri 04-Nov-16 14:36:38

Day

M0nica Fri 04-Nov-16 15:53:21

We were at Sainsbury's first thing Wednesday hoping for cheap pumpkins, they were once selling them off for a penny, but had no luck.

Hilltopgran Fri 04-Nov-16 17:52:32

Sainsbury's local tome had two big containers full yesterday with notices to help yourself, they were free. I still have my own left grown in the garden to use so left them for others.

Pumpkins freezes really well and has so many uses, nice to see supermarkets giving them away, just hope it has helped people some people who are struggling with food bills.

M0nica Fri 04-Nov-16 18:17:14

My elderly neighbours in France used to give me a huge pumpkin every year, which I cut up and froze and used in portions. Unfortunately they are so elderly now their pumpkin growing days are over.

grannypiper Fri 04-Nov-16 18:43:22

mrsmopp, i took full advantage of lidl's 10p pumpkin, now have enough pumpkin and lentil soup the for winter

AnnieWood Mon 07-Nov-16 07:04:02

My mom loves bargaining and she never leaves a single chance to bargain :p she bought a pumpkin yesterday and we had a lovely pumpkin pie.

mrsmopp Mon 07-Nov-16 08:45:07

Annie, do you have a recipe for the pumpkin pie please?