Gransnet forums

Food

Cranks

(6 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 11-Nov-16 23:16:56

Cranks opened a vegetarian restaurant in Covent Garden way back in the early sixties when it really was considered cranky to be a vegetarian. They then became very popular - I had their recipe books and just loved everything about them. The food was delicious, imaginative and healthy, the prices very reasonable. Then the number of restaurants dwindled over the years and I was lucky to be near enough to the last Cranks of all, in Dartington in Devon.
I went there today to find it has shut down. I'm terribly upset. It's the end of an era.
Goodbye Cranks. You will be sadly missed. sad

kezia Fri 11-Nov-16 23:39:50

Noooooo. I drove past there yesterday and said to my companion 'we must go to Cranks next time we're coming to Totnes'. How disappointing :-(

mumofmadboys Sat 12-Nov-16 03:35:15

I have two Cranks cook books.Use them all the time.

TriciaF Sat 12-Nov-16 19:25:18

There used to be a Cranks just off Charing Cross Road, where I used to eat when in London - went often when we lived in Southend.
Then I looked for it he last time I was there and it had disappeared. As you say MrsM sadly missed sad

Jane10 Sat 12-Nov-16 19:46:47

I remember eating in Cranks but it was in a department store. I think it was Heals but that was back in the 70s. I remember delicious eggs florentine. Yum. Sorry to hear that Cranks is no more.

Deedaa Sat 12-Nov-16 20:32:31

Cranks used to be really different and exciting in the 60s and 70s. Like Habitat when they used to sell really nice French pottery and kitchen equipment instead of the plastic tat they seem to have now.