Gransnet forums

Food

The FODMAPS diet

(10 Posts)
teabagwoman Wed 16-Nov-16 16:36:06

Is anyone following the FODMAPS diet for IBS? It can be a difficult diet to follow and perhaps we can give each other tips and recipe inspiration.

Grannaby Wed 16-Nov-16 18:12:28

I've been attempting it this past year, but it is a struggle and so limiting when eating out. I haven't really worked out which foods are a problem for me as I don't know how long to give my gut to react - is it something I ate today, yesterday or even the day before that? (I know I have a very sluggish system)

teabagwoman Thu 17-Nov-16 18:53:09

Do you use the Monash University app Grannaby? I find it really helpful. Eating out is a challenge - there are only so many baked potatoes that you can eat. Recently I've found that I can manage a sandwich lunch provided I'm careful the day before and after which has made days out easier.

Grannaby Fri 18-Nov-16 12:09:14

Thanks, I shall look for that app. You are so right about the baked potatoes! I came off the diet for a few weeks as the doctor wanted to test me for celiac so I had to go back to eating wheat (I am sure I am not celiac). I didn't have as much of a reaction as I expected but she had put me on tablets for IBS so that may have made a difference AND then I put two or three extra pounds on which I am not happy about as it takes me so long to work them off again.

Cream, creamy cheeses and full fat milk are a real no-no for me, but before reading about FODMAPs I couldn't understand why hard cheese was OK. It all makes sense now. I'm just struggling to work out which vegetables and fruits I should be avoiding as I like them all too much and some of the information has been a bit contradictory.

I should probably have asked to see a dietician and do the whole thing logically but I liked to think I could work this out for myself. . .

grannyqueenie Fri 18-Nov-16 14:09:23

This is timely thread for me, my GP mentioned it to me this week. I'm waiting for blood test results for various things, including coeliac. So we'll see....and in the meantime will watch everyone's comments with interest

teabagwoman Fri 18-Nov-16 20:11:55

Yes I thought the same Grannaby but did eventually go to see a dietician as it was the only way to access the booklets produced by Guys Hospital and Kings College. They are very helpful but the app is even better. Monash University is leading the research in this field and they update the app as they test new foods. I also follow their blog as they give lots of advice and recipes. As you say you find a lot of conflicting information on the Internet.

I'd say that I hope all your tests come back fine grannyqueenie but I guess you would rather something came back to explain why you are feeling unwell.

grannyqueenie Sat 19-Nov-16 08:19:16

Thanks teabagwoman, 1st thing to negotiate is a cystoscopy on Monday...that'll be fun hmm !

eddiecat78 Mon 21-Nov-16 09:07:19

I`ve been following this for a couple of years with mixed success. I do think I am having less bloating now but some of the other troubling symptoms of IBS are persisting. If you are looking for a good gluten free loaf I like Warburtons "Newburn" Seeded Farmhouse. I used to like the Genius triple seeded but they changed the recipe and it is horrid now!
I find one of the biggest problems is avoiding onions as they seem to be in everything savoury

MargaretX Mon 21-Nov-16 10:14:17

Its all matter of chance and good luck. I came across a book written by a controvertial Doctor who said that some people cannot digest whole meal grains. He said that all over the world women spend hours bashing wheat to get rid of the chaff- and we in the West eat it.
I stopped from then on and have not looked back.

Granaby to your question. My irritation comes from the bowel and it can take three days before a reaction appears

teabagwoman Tue 22-Nov-16 16:23:57

I shall look out for the Warburtons bread eddiecat78, I also used to like Genius triple seeded but it's definitely not as good as it used to be. Now that Monash have declared one slice of ordinary bread low FODMAP I have an open sandwich for my lunch and have managed to cut down on the gluten free bread which is definitely good for the budget.