Gransnet forums

Food

Can I freeze fondant icing?

(8 Posts)
eddiecat78 Mon 21-Nov-16 09:11:40

Daughter is getting married in April and has decided that she wants an extra wedding cake to cut up and take to work colleagues - they are going back to work 2 days after the wedding.
I`ve found a good chocolate cake recipe which says it can be made and frozen un-filled in advance.Could I put some fondant icing on before I freeze it - or would that affect the icing?

shysal Mon 21-Nov-16 09:24:09

I have never frozen fondant icing but feel sure that it would 'sweat' on defrosting. Could you buy some ready rolled icing and apply after thawing the cake? I have tried putting fondant on a frozen cake and it became very wet on the surface.

Greenfinch Mon 21-Nov-16 10:07:38

I have frozen some shop bought Birthday cakes with fondant icing and they have been perfectly OK when defrosted.

JackyB Mon 21-Nov-16 13:20:50

I have seen professionals recommend baking the cake and freezing it and decorating it after defrosting. I would definitely go down that route.

Although, as Greenfinch says, bought ones are obviously frozen with the icing on. This may be OK for little cakes for the tea table, but I wouldn't risk it for a wedding centrepiece.

eddiecat78 Mon 21-Nov-16 13:42:10

Thanks everyone. I thought there probably would be problems with the fondant if it was frozen. As this is only going to be an extra cake -possibly not even seen at the reception - I think I should get away with just slapping a layer of fondant on with no additional decoration so that shouldn`t take long (famous last words!)

shysal Mon 21-Nov-16 13:58:36

I assume you are an experienced baker, but just wanted to check that you will add a 'crumb coat' of buttercream before the fondant to make it stick. Sorry if I am teaching a grandmother to 'suck eggs'! tchsmile

eddiecat78 Mon 21-Nov-16 17:08:44

thanks Shysal - yes I do know about that - but may well have forgotten so the reminder is very welcome

kittylester Mon 21-Nov-16 17:20:39

My DD makes wedding cakes and never freezes fondant icing after one (costly and panicky!) disaster!