Gransnet forums

Food

Grated chocolate in apple pie

(16 Posts)
thatbags Fri 25-Nov-16 10:21:59

I'm about to make an apple pie and was wondering if putting some grated dark chocolate (which I don't like on its own) in with the apple. Has anyone tried that?

Candlefran Fri 25-Nov-16 10:26:56

Should be ok. But be careful. I once added some marmalade to the rhubarb in a crumble. You cannot imagine how ghastly it was. shock

thatbags Fri 25-Nov-16 10:28:05

grin Try some chopped crystallised ginger with rhubarb. That works.

shysal Fri 25-Nov-16 10:28:11

Doesn't appeal to me! My Mum used to grate cheese on top of her apple pies.

rosesarered Fri 25-Nov-16 10:29:22

I don't think it will be good somehow bags but you can tell us about it when it's made and you have eaten some! Orange and chocolate go well ( I make a pain au chocolat version of bread and butter pudding, and add orange peel and zest)feel unsure about apples and chocolate though.

thatbags Fri 25-Nov-16 10:30:48

I out some crumbled Wnesleydale in the last one, shysal. I'm currently out of Wensleydale but dear soop (shhh! wink) keeps giving me dark chocolate (she loves it) and I'm really not keen on it. I used to be but my chocolate tastes have changed recently.

thatbags Fri 25-Nov-16 10:31:00

* put!

thatbags Fri 25-Nov-16 10:32:06

A bar of chocolate and an apple is one of my favourite lunches so I know choc and apple go together allright.

rosesarered Fri 25-Nov-16 11:03:29

Sometimes, when things are cooked, it changes the whole taste experience though bags but you know the saying ( by Noel Coward) 'one should try everything at least once dear boy, with the exceptions of incest or morris dancing'!

Gagagran Fri 25-Nov-16 11:23:14

I like a few sultanas and cinnamon in apple pie - I know it's a bit like strudel but it is very nice. Not sure about chocolate though. Think I'd rather melt it on top of a plain sponge cake.

Jalima Fri 25-Nov-16 11:26:35

DM used to put cloves in with the apple in a pie.

Lovely unless you got one in your mouth!

DaphneBroon Fri 25-Nov-16 11:30:25

You can add wine chocolate to most things , I like it in chilli. Alternatively you can drink eat it while you are cooking grin

Rinouchka Sat 03-Dec-16 19:01:21

Jalima ask your husband to use powdered cloves!

Rinouchka Sat 03-Dec-16 19:02:12

Sorr DM= mother! I will never get used to GN abbreviations!

hildajenniJ Sat 03-Dec-16 20:55:44

Sounds delicious. I'll be round as soon as I can get the ferry! ?

Hilltopgran Sat 03-Dec-16 23:11:15

I found a jar of last year's mincemeat lurking in the back of a cupboard, so have used it with apples in a crumble, great way to get OH to eat cooked apples, I had not thought about chocolate, let us know how it goes, I have a surplus of cooking apples this year and an OH who is not keen on them.