Gransnet forums

Food

Help with low sugar or sugar free birthday cake

(13 Posts)
Calder Fri 25-Nov-16 11:00:06

Hello all - my DiL wants me to make a low sugar or sugar free birthday cake for my soon to be 2 year old GD - have any of you experience with a reliable recipe that you can share? All help gratefully received. Birthday on 29th so need to get my skates on!

Anya Fri 25-Nov-16 11:04:16

Try THIS WEBSITE

Calder Fri 25-Nov-16 13:04:08

Thanks Anya. Have you used these recipes yourself? I can find lots on the web, but what I am really after is any tried and trusted recipe other members have used with success.

Anya Fri 25-Nov-16 14:27:40

Try asking on our GN low carb thread. I've not tried these myself and TBH I've never found any low/no sugar cakes that are any good.

If anyone knows though it's those on the low carb thread.

Anya Fri 25-Nov-16 14:29:45

Follow this blue link

i think

Mamie Fri 25-Nov-16 15:13:24

That is the old thread - current thread here
www.gransnet.com/forums/dieting_and_exercise/1228651-Low-carb-support-thread-2016-Part-2
Having said that, no I haven't really found many cakes. The pear and date brownies on this site (recipe section) are nice but my GCs turned their noses up. I think I would just go with a child-friendly cake and cut the sugar down. Chocolate is good if it is dark chocolate but not sure that would work for two-year-olds. You could certainly avoid the very sugary icings though.

Anya Fri 25-Nov-16 15:45:33

Thanks Mamie blush

thatbags Fri 25-Nov-16 16:09:37

Good luck but why sugar-free? A slice of normal cake (Victoria sponge type with a dusting of icing sugar, for instance) on a birthday isn't going to do a child any harm whatsoever.

Besides which, most of the "sugar-free" recipes just substitute a different kind of sugar, such as honey or fruit juice (which is also high acid) or dried fruit (bit chewy and concentrated for kids).

Calder Fri 25-Nov-16 18:03:14

Thatbags - I'm with you all the way, but it would seem you've not come up against a DiL who has been taken in by this whole "sugar free child rearing revolution/fad". I am just trying to be diplomatic and not cause yet another family row about what food is healthy and what's not. When you have a family member who thinks honey and fruit sugars are ok, but ordinary table sugar is poison it's all a little tricky!!!

thatbags Fri 25-Nov-16 18:29:55

Ah well, calder, as I said, Good Luck! I do find it astonishing that people don't realise honey is sugar.

Is it a first child? My own DD was a bit anti-sugar with GS1 but she had slackened off by the time GS2 came along wink.

Anya Fri 25-Nov-16 19:27:51

Why don't you ask your DiL to find a recipe and you'll bake it?

Jalima Fri 25-Nov-16 20:17:56

I used to bake an apple cake many moons ago, it had stewed apple instead of sugar.

But that would depend if you like an appley taste and I can't remember the recipe but here are some:
www.yummly.uk/recipes/apple-cake-no-sugar

What - no icing shock?

Jalima Fri 25-Nov-16 20:18:58

ps is there a health reason eg diabetes?

Otherwise - it's a birthday cake, ie for a birthday - once a year.