Gransnet forums

Food

An unintentional vegetarian

(11 Posts)
LyndaW Thu 01-Dec-16 13:22:26

Well, not completely. But I have noticed that we are eating far less meat than we used to and probably 5 of our 7 main meals a week are vegetarian - sometimes even vegan. Not deliberately at all. I wonder if it's a combination of health reasons, or cost and possibly also because there is so much more variety available these days in terms of vegetable and obscure grains. It's become more mainstream and accessible - I wouldn't have know what to do with quinoa 5 years ago but now we have it quite regularly and there are loads of recipes available. And we enjoy it. Anyone feel similarly? Have your diets changed over the years?

Jane10 Thu 01-Dec-16 13:34:00

I agree. We're the same. However we never were great meat eaters. I could never understand those people who said it wasn't a meal if there wasn't meat.
We seem to have lots of chickeny/fishy pasta type things and so many chinese/indian type dishes are full of vegetables. All delicious. No need for lots of meat at all.

FarNorth Thu 01-Dec-16 13:35:52

Pedant here - chicken and fish are meat/flesh.

flump Thu 01-Dec-16 13:41:26

We've been eating less meat too. We would rather have a lot of veggies and we try to make sure we have fish as well. 4 of the last 5 days have been vegetarian, though last night DH made a yummy steak and kidney pud with a suet top. I'm quite happy not having meat for another few days now!

SueDonim Thu 01-Dec-16 14:11:45

Similar here, too. I've never been a huge fan of meat anyway then after we lived abroad where the quality of the meat could, at the very least, be dubious, we regularly eat veggie. It's unusual for us to eat meat two days running now.

sunseeker Thu 01-Dec-16 14:16:41

Although I do eat meat with most meals it tends to be just a small portion compared to the vegetables on the plate.

Jane10 Thu 01-Dec-16 15:26:53

I suppose I should explain for the pedants among us that by 'meat' I was meaning red meat. I foolishly thought that people might just have picked that up.hmm

nightowl Thu 01-Dec-16 15:41:41

What a strange idea Jane

TriciaF Thu 01-Dec-16 18:16:08

We've been on a diet like that for a while.
I can't understand this myth that it's more expensive to eat a healthy diet. Animal protein seems more expensive than veg. protein to me.
It is more time consuming though, in planning, shopping and cooking.

Rinouchka Sat 03-Dec-16 18:58:32

Although not a vegetarian in the strict sense of the word, I have never liked meat although I have tolerated cooking it for husband and children( wearing plastic gloves when handling raw meat).
Now that the children have left home, we live mostly on a diet of vegetable, pulses, pasta and fish, not forgetting eggs & cheese.
My husband makes himself a steak every couple of weeks and I occasionally cook organic chicken.
Our eldest grandson( age 8) prefers raw vegetables. Lately, I have followed suit!

Juggernaut Sat 03-Dec-16 19:02:58

We eat a lot of vegetarian food, but to be honest, I like it served with a side of animal flesh! grin