Gransnet forums

Food

Baking for sale

(8 Posts)
MagicWand Mon 12-Dec-16 23:15:23

I've been asked to bake for a friend's coffee shop. Has anyone an idea of how I work out charges for my bakes? Obviously costing out the ingredients is not a problem but how do I factor in my time, the cost of cooking, etc? Years ago the local WI market used to say work out the cost of ingredients and double it, would that still be correct?

If anyone has any ideas or experience of doing this, I'd appreciate some guidance. Thanks in advance.

merlotgran Mon 12-Dec-16 23:27:38

Cost price x 3 would be nearer to a decent profit margin.

You also need to shop around for reasonably priced supplies to make it worth your while. Bulk buying is not always a cheaper option.

Don't forget that your kitchen will need to meet Environmental Health regulations once you are up and running.

Good Luck. Sounds like fun.

MagicWand Mon 12-Dec-16 23:41:46

Thank you merlotgran.

NanaandGrampy Tue 13-Dec-16 09:17:37

You could try using this crafting calculator Magic , its for handmade goods.

www.craftfairsuk.com/craft-calculator.aspx

Christinefrance Tue 13-Dec-16 10:14:34

Don't forget the ingredients have to be listed on the product. All the elf n safety rules were the death of cake stalls are local fetes.

Deedaa Tue 13-Dec-16 20:55:42

When my friend and I were running a cafe we worked on 1/3 cost of ingredients, 1/3 overheads and 1/3 profit.

Don't forget you'll have to be very clear about allergens and comply with all the Environmental Health regulations.

merlotgran Tue 13-Dec-16 22:31:06

There's a helpful ingredients costing programme on the

British Nutrition Foundation's website.

Go to Resources, scroll down and click on ICT, scroll down then click on 'costing ingredients.'

This programme will cost out your product. All you need to do is get the prices per item (eg a bag of flour) from one of the supermarket websites. You then type in the weight of ingredients you will be using and it works it all out for you.

It's not as complicated as it looks grin

I think the link I've put on here takes you straight to the resource centre.

MagicWand Wed 14-Dec-16 01:43:30

Thank you everyone, you've all given me food for thought! cupcake grin