Gransnet forums

Food

Chestnuts

(13 Posts)
GrannyMac1945 Wed 14-Dec-16 19:44:45

I adore chestnuts, when I was a child in '50 & '60s we used to roast them on the front of the coal fire, balancing them was an art, too far in they were lost or burnt. I once had them as a dessert, Marron Glacé, at the Goring In London, like eating sweet velvet. But now they are dry, tasteless and sometimes rotten. I know my palette is blunted by age but when one considers how far they had to travel all those years ago, how transport is speedier now surely their condition should be as good as I remember them ?

Deedaa Wed 14-Dec-16 21:11:33

I've bought Italian chestnuts in Lidl and Waitrose recently and they've been fine.

DaphneBroon Wed 14-Dec-16 22:02:46

Oh, not old jokes then grin

DaphneBroon Wed 14-Dec-16 23:30:31

www.youtube.com/watch?v=__kQ1PCP6B0

(Couldn't resist!)
tchsmile

GrannyMac1945 Sat 17-Dec-16 22:50:25

Thanks Deedaa, will look.
Very droll DaphneBroon tchsmile

Synonymous Sun 18-Dec-16 01:06:08

I have always loved chestnuts but have practically given up on the 'fresh' ones now. I recently bought some chestnuts and out of a whole net there were only three of them which had no rotten bits in. It has put me right off them. I needed some for a recipe so had to resort to some peeled and cooked and sold in a 'gourmet' labelled plastic bag at an exorbitant price. It will be quite a while before I bother again - if ever!

Daphne grin

BlueBelle Sun 18-Dec-16 05:21:17

I too love chestnuts but last year the quality was really poor with bad ones old crinkled ones and generally nothing like as fresh and nice as they should be so not bothered this year Nuts are very expensive too

BBbevan Sun 18-Dec-16 07:54:22

How would you cook chestnuts without an open fire? Love them but not bought them for years

Greyduster Sun 18-Dec-16 08:32:28

It's been a pretty good year for wild chestnuts - we have found some pretty big ones on our walks and have usually managed a pocketful, but I tried roasting them in the oven and they were not particularly successful - you had to eat them with a spoon, but they were quite delicious! I haven't bought any imported ones for ages, though I was tempted to get some from the hot chestnut man in town the other day!

TriciaF Sun 18-Dec-16 13:38:59

I haven't noticed any fresh ones in the shops yet, must have another look.
You can buy them in jars here, ready cooked? Not too expensive. They're good in stuffing for chickens, turkeys etc. Just mash with a fork.

whitewave Sun 18-Dec-16 15:34:56

They have to pop don't they?

Lillie Sun 18-Dec-16 15:52:31

I saw a chestnut honey the other day I won't say where for fear of being called a boaster again but has anyone tried it? It looked lovely, around £10 a jar I think. I used to make a chestnut sauce to go with pancakes when we lived in France.

Victoria08 Sun 18-Dec-16 16:24:00

I used to roast mine in the oven. But beware, if you don't make a slit in them , they explode.
Has a nasty experience with them one time.

Have now given up roasting them in the oven as they generally end up hard and dry.

Open coals are the best way, but not many of us have one of those nowadays.