Gransnet forums

Food

Pastry for Mince pies

(20 Posts)
tanith Wed 21-Dec-16 16:13:31

I just made a big batch of pastry to make Mince pies on Friday and I forgot to add the sugar for a sweet pastry, it won't matter will it?

I always make them with a sweet pastry but if I am generous with the dusting of icing sugar after cooking it might go unnoticed, what do you think?

aggie Wed 21-Dec-16 16:34:20

It will be fine , I sometimes forget , no one has noticed . I used icing sugar this year , will be interested to see if it tastes any different

tanith Wed 21-Dec-16 16:37:46

Funny you should say that aggie I used icing sugar for the first time when I made the first batch of pies last week I couldn't tell any difference though.
Thanks for the input I won't worry about it and I can always make some cheese straws too as its not sweetened.

jusnoneed Wed 21-Dec-16 16:45:24

I prefer them made with unsweetened pastry, just sprinkle a bit on the top.
I'm going to make some puff pastry ones, well the pastry is in the freezer and the mince is in the cupboard... lol.

ginny Wed 21-Dec-16 17:33:26

I always use shortcrust pastry and I make it with SR flour. Sprinkle sugar on top before serving. Never had any complaints and am often asked to make pies for 'dos'.

tanith Wed 21-Dec-16 17:48:47

I've read you can use SR flour ginny what difference is there to making with Pl flour?

ginny Wed 21-Dec-16 18:33:26

I think it is just personal tadte really. I prefer the texture.

tanith Wed 21-Dec-16 18:36:10

Ok but how is it different? crisper, softer?

ginny Wed 21-Dec-16 18:44:25

I think it is softer but not soggy or too sweet. I always think mincemeat is very sweet anyway and doesn't need more sugar around it.

tanith Wed 21-Dec-16 19:02:36

Thanks ginny I might give it a try.

Greyduster Wed 21-Dec-16 19:20:00

I'm another who has always used SR flour and icing sugar for minced pies. Always a good light result and not too sweet.

Jalima Wed 21-Dec-16 20:21:47

My mother used to use a mix of plain and SR flour for pastry, I think about 2/3 plain to 1/3 SR and her pastry was always light and delicious, a mix of lard and butter or block margarine.
No sugar and mixed with water - just ordinary shortcrust pastry but always melt in the mouth.

I wish mine would turn out the same [sigh]

mumofmadboys Wed 21-Dec-16 20:30:16

I saw a recipe with ground almonds added to the pastry.Has anyone done that before please?

janeainsworth Wed 21-Dec-16 20:53:27

mumofmadboys There was another thread about this a couple of weeks ago and hildajennij posted a link to this recipe
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mymincepies_71055

I tried it out yesterday and there aren't many left tchgrin

mumofmadboys Wed 21-Dec-16 20:55:38

Thanks Jane

GrandmaKT Wed 21-Dec-16 22:36:13

My grandma used to tell a story about a neighbour whose mince pies were admired by all. Everyone in the WI was after her recipe, but she would never give it out. My gran called round one day just before Christmas and the neighbour said "Come through, I'm just making mince pies". Delighted that she might get a bit of insider information, my gran followed her into the kitchen - and stood there watching this woman pick up each pastry lid, lick her finger and run it around the rim before putting them on the mince pies!

TriciaF Thu 22-Dec-16 17:39:26

Just one more tip - from someone whose pastry has been heavy as lead until recently:
Only a few drops of liquid! Whatever the other ingredients. I used to add too much.

ginny Thu 22-Dec-16 18:46:55

Easiest way to get the right amount of water is to use half the amount of fluid ounces of water as the amount of ounces of fat. E.g. 6 oz fat, 12 oz flour, 3 fluid oz very cold water. Seems to work perfectly.

aggie Thu 22-Dec-16 18:51:44

just cooked the mince pies , look good but not eaten any yet , seem crisper

Jalima Thu 22-Dec-16 19:43:32

My friend says she makes her pastry the day before, chills or freezes it and that makes it crisper.