Gransnet forums

Food

Bubble n Squeak

(15 Posts)
ninathenana Mon 26-Dec-16 14:00:05

I seem to have an awful lot of left overs. So I thought I'd make B&S for the first time tchshock Do you suggest I bake or fry ?
Would you put left over stuffing in ?

kittylester Mon 26-Dec-16 14:11:20

Fry, we like our stuffing cold like the meat stuffs.

I just fry all the left over veg chopped up and serve with cold meat, fish etc and loads of prickly stuff and coleslaw, if there is any, or salad.

If I didn't feel so I'll I'd be drooling now!

ninathenana Mon 26-Dec-16 14:14:15

We have the "prickly" stuff kitty tchgrin
to go with it.

kittylester Mon 26-Dec-16 14:18:26

Beeping phone - pickly!!

kittylester Mon 26-Dec-16 14:18:48

Or holly obvs!

Coolgran65 Mon 26-Dec-16 14:23:39

I saw a Christmas pot luck pie on TV the other day.
All sorts of leftovers went into the deep dish, lashings of gravy, and then the topping. Missed the end of it so don't know if it was a potato topping or a pastry topping - Either could work.
I shall bear it in mind. Today is my hosting day and tomorrow will be leftovers day smile

Christinefrance Mon 26-Dec-16 14:34:27

Bubble & squeak topped with crispy duck and a fried egg, yummy.

tanith Mon 26-Dec-16 14:51:13

I've just cooked potatoes to mash then will add to chopped vegs and fry later (got to have crispy brown bits) we'll have it with cold turkey and gammon with pickles or sauces. Have to get a bit hungrier yet, been raiding the chocolates and mince pies grin

Luckygirl Mon 26-Dec-16 15:01:27

Make some mash and bung in everything that is left over, bake in the oven with lots of butter on top. We only fry it the next day if there is some left.

seacliff Mon 26-Dec-16 17:24:31

Yum, tonight having bubble and squeak, with parsnips carrots potatoes sprouts and a little cauli cheese, and some chopped stuffing balls. All fried up, hardly any oil used. I'm veggie so just some pickles and may be an egg. Delish.

grannypiper Mon 26-Dec-16 17:34:16

coolgran we have just eaten "st Stephens" pie as it is known in our house, ALL of the leftovers, gravy that has been cooled and a scrunched filo top brushed with melted butter, covered with foil and baked at 170 for for 45 mins then a further 5 without the foil. It is yum and so easy, we much prefer it to yesterdays dinner.roastchicken P.S add little dots of cranberry sauce before putting on the pastry

Ana Mon 26-Dec-16 17:46:00

The trouble with all these delicious-sounding recipes for B&S is that most of my family members would be poking around trying to remove the bits they don't like! grin

rosesarered Mon 26-Dec-16 21:32:03

Would that be the bubble or the squeak Ana?

Lona Mon 26-Dec-16 21:54:50

Coolgran I saw that too, and it was topped with scrunched up filo pastry sheets like grannypiper describes ^ ^ It did look tasty.

NonnaW Mon 26-Dec-16 23:25:56

Sorry but yuk! I hate bubble & squeak, don't like mash either. I'll just go and hide away now sorry