Gransnet forums

Food

I don't believe it !

(6 Posts)
ninathenana Fri 27-Jan-17 18:17:47

A piece of smoked cod approx 12"×3" at the fresh fish counter in Asda today when weighed was priced at £11.27 shockshock no, I didn't buy it.
Thinking about it now, are their scales wrong ? Pre packed 3 fillets were £4 per pack.

judypark Fri 27-Jan-17 18:55:34

I do know that ASDA have their scales callibrated weekly. A slab that size in inches sounds about right. What weight was this and what weight were the pre packed?

Greyduster Fri 27-Jan-17 18:58:56

By co-incidence, I bought a piece about the same size at Morrisons yesterday and it was £3.50!! I think the price per kilo was around ten pounds. A fillet of smoked haddock was seven pounds something and I declined that but the price per kilo was about thirteen pounds something. Something wrong there, nina certainly.

Rinouchka Fri 27-Jan-17 21:01:08

We just ate two fresh cod fillets bought from Morrison's this morning for £4.00. The Asda price sounds wrong, even for smoked cod.

grannypiper Sat 28-Jan-17 09:23:23

Cod straight off the boat £5, i would never buy from the supermarket but i know we dont all live by the coast

shysal Sat 28-Jan-17 09:39:47

Was the smoked cod the un-dyed type? That would be more expensive. I often buy the yellow sort from Asda. I have a pack containing two huge pieces in my freezer, bought fresh, at £2.70 for 230 gm.