Gransnet forums

Food

Strange sandwiches

(100 Posts)
Daddima Fri 10-Feb-17 17:40:38

I've just seen my German friend eat sliced apple on brown bread. When I said I'd never seen that before, she asked how it was different from banana on a sandwich.

My aunt used to give us Cadbury's flake and banana in a sandwich, and I've heard of ( but never tried) Scotch pie in a roll, and condensed milk in a sandwich. I have a friend who maintains there is no food which cannot be put in a sandwich, Pot Noodle being a favourite.

What are your strange sandwich fillings?

lefthanded Sat 11-Feb-17 09:12:18

Fish fingers make the best sandwiches. If you have pitta bread (normal bread is too messy) then you fill them with fish fingers and tinned spaghetti. Heaven!

ninathenana Sat 11-Feb-17 11:04:37

Each to their own lefthanded but personally envy

shysal Sat 11-Feb-17 11:37:49

Off piste, but on The Yorkshire Vet programme they showed an elderly farming couple having a full English breakfast with dollops of marmalade on top!

The most adventurous I get with sandwiches is ready salted crisps with ham.

harrysgran Sun 12-Feb-17 09:24:05

Crisps and salad cream or strawberry and cream cheese are my favourite my favourite as a child was banana with condensed milk.

inishowen Sun 12-Feb-17 09:41:35

When we were kids my friend was quite poor. I watched her make a brown sauce sandwich because it was all she could find in the cupboard.

harrigran Sun 12-Feb-17 09:48:29

When I lived in the nurses home we used to have cheddar cheese and raspberry jam sandwiches, sounds odd but the jam offset the bitterness of the cheese. We used to have cheese and apple sandwiches too, quick way of adding fruit to teatime when we had only a short break.

Angela1961 Sun 12-Feb-17 10:03:33

Garlic sausage and lemon curd. Cheese and honey. Not me btw .

Jan51 Sun 12-Feb-17 10:10:12

Peanut butter, banana & honey (because I buy peanut butter with nothing added). DGS1 aged 9 likes just Branston pickle , he also has it on toast and has done since he was a toddler.

TillyWhiz Sun 12-Feb-17 10:10:38

I think these chocolate bars in sandwiches - and jelly - must be a variation on the older generation inisisting we eat a slice of bread and butter with a bowl of jelly. The idea was to soak up the sweetness with something plain!

gillyg Sun 12-Feb-17 10:13:35

At the risk of making people feel ill, one of my favourite sandwiches is cold cooked liver and salad cream. Yum!

Elrel Sun 12-Feb-17 10:14:09

Peanut butter and marmalade - picked up from a US friend who called it peanut butter and jelly. Cheese and onion is a favourite, or cheese and tomato. When I had neither I tried cheese and apple and found it was just as good. Blue cheese and pear too.
Does anyone remember Dagwood sandwiched? He was a US cartoon character who built multilayered sandwiches, as a child I used to try to make them!

TerriBull Sun 12-Feb-17 10:19:35

Not that unusual now, but seemed to be when I first went to work in London in the 1970s, Banana, cream cheese and honey, I make one from time to time if I have all the ingredients still like it.

Jane10 Sun 12-Feb-17 10:25:06

My grandmother used to make the oddest sandwiches. We used to dread them. The worst was sardine and fig. She also used to make them with tinned tomato. Just awful. Worse still she'd make a batch of them and freeze them only defrosting for Sunday afternoon tea. We'd all keep passing the plate round hoping that we wouldn't have to actually eat one!!

sufuller Sun 12-Feb-17 10:32:48

Rich fruit cake and cheese on sliced white bread! My dad's favourite.

Kim19 Sun 12-Feb-17 10:37:21

One of our family favourites is cucumber and plain crisps. This came about when those items were all that were left of the selection of sandwich fillings towards the end of a picnic day. Weirdly (but not really) delicious.

Lilyflower Sun 12-Feb-17 10:59:14

When I was little in Australia the other children at school used to be given white bread and hundreds and thousands sanwiches and I pestered my mother to be given the same for my lunch. Imagine my disappointment when I bit into one and it was truly horrible.

I liked the salad cream sarnies she sometimes made though.

sussexoldbag Sun 12-Feb-17 11:01:20

When I was a kid and Mum was hard up it would be sugar sandwiches, salad cream ones or maybe beetroot ones. We took in German students who looked horrified the the very idea...this was late 50's early 60's.

chicken Sun 12-Feb-17 11:01:41

An old friend's husband used to love kipper and marmalade sandwiches, and my DD would only ever have marmalade sandwiches in her school lunch box---still loves them.

jocarter Sun 12-Feb-17 11:06:27

When I was pregnant with DS I ate tinned peach sandwiches poor DH was absolutely disgusted when we ate lunch together. DD eats goats cheese and mustard sandwiches

radicalnan Sun 12-Feb-17 11:06:47

Peanut butter and Branston pickle..........so I havebeen told never dared try it.

Terrystred Sun 12-Feb-17 11:09:36

My mum used to give us sugar sandwiches.as a treat. Not sure the healthy eating police would approve!

Christalbee Sun 12-Feb-17 11:12:39

Sandwiches of fresh bread, with Apple and Cheese are lovely!!
And relatively healthy...

gulligranny Sun 12-Feb-17 11:14:28

A born & bred Londoner, I lived in Scotland for the whole of the 1970s where I began my lifelong love affair with haggis. A haggis supper on a Friday night, and I'd leave some for the next morning to have between two slices of toast - food of the gods IMHO.

Leesa Sun 12-Feb-17 11:22:36

Marmite and watercress-A craving when I was pregnant that I still enjoy!

woo69 Sun 12-Feb-17 11:41:51

Just before Christmas a work colleague posted on Facebook that she was having a crisp sandwich, I had never heard of anyone doing this and posted as such and got lots of indignant replies. I tried it with the packet of roast chicken crisps in the cupboard and was not impressed. Next day I was told it had to be cheese and onion but I can't stand them, yuk.
My DD who is 32 always has only had one thing in a sandwich, she would for instance have a ham sandwich and a separate tomato sandwich but not ham and tomato together