Gransnet forums

Food

Strange sandwiches

(100 Posts)
Daddima Fri 10-Feb-17 17:40:38

I've just seen my German friend eat sliced apple on brown bread. When I said I'd never seen that before, she asked how it was different from banana on a sandwich.

My aunt used to give us Cadbury's flake and banana in a sandwich, and I've heard of ( but never tried) Scotch pie in a roll, and condensed milk in a sandwich. I have a friend who maintains there is no food which cannot be put in a sandwich, Pot Noodle being a favourite.

What are your strange sandwich fillings?

SueDoku Sun 12-Feb-17 16:56:02

Fish fingers and cheese make a great Saturday dinner or tea..! Butter the bread, cover one slice with sliced cheddar and melt under the grill until just softened, add grilled fish fingers and break up slightly, top with other slice of bread, squish slightly (very important smile ) and enjoy..!!
My DIL thought that we were mad when I first offered her this - and now her entire family loves it... grin

mrswoo Sun 12-Feb-17 16:35:21

This is a bit weird but... I really love a cold bread sauce sarnie! The bread sauce has to be home made with quite a lot of onion in it.

Lindylou23 Sun 12-Feb-17 16:12:50

Shepherds pie sandwich

EmilyHarburn Sun 12-Feb-17 15:55:49

Gransnetters may like this receipie for finger sandwiches for a formal tea.

Julia’s Sandwiches – her mother’s recipe

Ingredients
2 sliced loaves one white and one brown. (15 slices per loaf)
250 g spreadable butter – Lurpack
1 iceberg lettuce
Egg mayonnaise made with 4 hardboiled eggs.
8 tomatoes – take skins off
280 g Philadelphia cheese

Method
Butter one side of bread only and assemble in alternate colours 5 slices in all with 4 fillings. As the crusts will be cut off and the piles sliced into 9 sandwiches if you start each pile with alternately white and then brown can make a chess board on the plate with the sandwiches.
The 4 fillings:
Slice of white butter side up, leaf of iceberg lettuce,
slice of brown butter side down, egg mayonnaise
slice of white butter side up slices of skinless tomatoes,
slice of brown butter side down, Philadelphia cheese, slice of white butter side down.

(soft diet: swap lettuce for glaucomole/avocado, Tomato for humus with concentrated tomato mixed in.)

Storage.
These sandwiches can be made the night before the party and then wrapped in foil and placed in fridge overnight.

chrissyh Sun 12-Feb-17 15:51:59

I used to have apple sandwiches in when I was a child in the 50s.

I love a tinned tuna, apple and salad cream (or mayo) sandwich.

Sheilasue Sun 12-Feb-17 15:36:56

When I was a little girl it was sugarcsandwiches, but now I like good old cheese and pickle

Lynnebo Sun 12-Feb-17 15:31:50

Come to Wigan and have a meat & potato pie on a barm cake!!! Grand ??

LindaJ Sun 12-Feb-17 14:38:51

My father's top sandwich was cheese and strawberry jam on white buttered bread closely followed by mashed dates, again had to be on buttered white bread smile

BlueBelle Sun 12-Feb-17 14:38:00

I have always eaten sliced apple and cheese sandwiches also jam and cheese , jam or honey and marmite sandwiches and ice cream sandwiches all yummy yummy
I have had chocolate sandwiches and crisp samdwiches When I was a kid I had pepper and salt sandwiches, sugar sandwiches and yummy yummy dripping on toast

marioneliz Sun 12-Feb-17 14:23:24

My dear old Dad introduced me to cheese and marmalade sandwiches . . Yummy

DotMH1901 Sun 12-Feb-17 14:20:40

Thinly sliced onion on white bread, peanut butter, jam (any kind), marmalade, salad cream (not mayonnaise), bacon, ham, cheese, lemon curd, tomatoes, sardines, tuna,mackerel, cucumber - not tried chocolate but I don't like chocolate in general - marmite, crisps. home made pate, fish fingers, chips - basically if it fits between two slices of bread it's fair game smile

annodomini Sun 12-Feb-17 14:06:22

My Granny used to make bovril paste - hard boiled egg mashed with bovril (not diluted) - and we loved that as a sandwich filling or spread on toast.

marionk Sun 12-Feb-17 13:59:22

Peanut butter and a runny fried egg!! Yummy but oh so messy ?

MyTeaMo Sun 12-Feb-17 13:45:31

I love digestive biscuits with butter . Wink

Auntieflo Sun 12-Feb-17 13:43:20

DS2 loves cheese and golden syrup, and has converted his BIL

Craicon Sun 12-Feb-17 13:33:14

I like cheesy mix sarnies.
Grate a whole pack of cheese, add a thinly sliced white or red onion and mix in lots of mayo into a bowl and then spread some on your buttered bread. (Save the rest of the mix in the fridge for later) Top with half a packet of salt and vinegar or cheese and onion crisps for extra texture. So, one packet of crisps per 2 sandwiches.
My late scottish (Glesga) MIL liked frys chocolate sarnies. I also tried a battered Mars Bar from the local chippy whilst on a visit to hers and it was surprisingly tasty.

BRedhead59 Sun 12-Feb-17 12:37:31

Cheese and marmalade - yummy

PoshGran Sun 12-Feb-17 12:26:36

As a child - sliced banana with demerara sugar on brown bread "buttered" with Carnation milk.
Nowadays - cold, home cooked ham/gammon & stoned tinned prunes.
I also found in my old Dairy Diary bacon & banana sandwiches, but I haven't tried them - yet! wink

PRINTMISS Sun 12-Feb-17 12:24:50

I think perhaps I might have told you this before, but here goes. Many moons ago, when it was the 'thing' to play April Fool on folk, and we were very young and new married, the other half took two lots of sandwiches to work, one for elevenses and one for lunch. On this particular April Fools day, I made a sandwich with just a note in it "April Fool" (there were two sandwiches). This was the one he ate for elevenses, because of course April Fool had to be played before noon. Never found out if he ate it - I forgot about it by the time he came home, and even if I mention now, he just smiles. Irritating. Incidentally apple sandwiches (with cheese) are lovely, as are condensed milk, mashed banana and sugar.

glynis1234 Sun 12-Feb-17 12:24:35

Brie and grape, lovely

win Sun 12-Feb-17 12:23:11

use ripe avocado or cheese spread instead of butter with any filling.

Tuna & Cheese together is good

cheese, salad and any fruit like apple, Pine apple or peach is lovely.

The same goes for my salads, I always have some fruit on my salad, love melon and orange in particular.

win Sun 12-Feb-17 12:18:49

Any left over dinner including some good cold gravy between two thick slices of bread, wonderful.

Nelliemoser Sun 12-Feb-17 12:00:41

This is clearly a Haute Cuisine thread. grin

Salad cream sandwiches.
Pineapple jam (not seen it for years) and cheese.
Peanut butter on Ryvita.
Sausage sandwiches with brown sauce. yum!
Cheese and mustard or cheese and horseradish sauce.
Humous butties with salad.
Cheese and raw mild onion.
Egg mayo. Nothing very original.

HootyMcOwlface Sun 12-Feb-17 11:48:01

I used to like sugar sandwiches as a child, as well as tomato ketchup sandwiches.

I love cheese and beetroot sandwiches, and my children like crisp sandwiches. An aunty made some tuna and cheese sandwiches, which I thought would be a bit 'meh', but we're actually quite nice.

A friend was making some cheese and jam sandwiches - I thought separately, but no, it was a combination - yuk!

woo69 Sun 12-Feb-17 11:41:51

Just before Christmas a work colleague posted on Facebook that she was having a crisp sandwich, I had never heard of anyone doing this and posted as such and got lots of indignant replies. I tried it with the packet of roast chicken crisps in the cupboard and was not impressed. Next day I was told it had to be cheese and onion but I can't stand them, yuk.
My DD who is 32 always has only had one thing in a sandwich, she would for instance have a ham sandwich and a separate tomato sandwich but not ham and tomato together