Gransnet forums

Food

Anyone love cooking?

(9 Posts)
GrannyCooks Fri 30-Jun-17 07:32:42

Hello, sorry for coming on here. I did a "media" post but I'm not sure anyone's seen it!
I'm writing an article for BBC Good Food, a tribute to grandparents who like cooking - and indeed, cook with the grandchildren.
Do any of you enjoy this part of grandparenting? I hope it would be fun! Sorry again for posting here as think I should stick to media but it's quite lonely there. smile
Many thanks in advance, any ideas would be gratefully received,
Chloe -
email is [email protected] in case.

Cherrytree59 Fri 30-Jun-17 08:42:08

No
My mother and grandmother were good cooks and bakers.
The 'cooking gene' was passed on to my sister who is a chef.
I do regret not having the time to spend in the kitchen with my DS & DD.
And there were unfortunately no GPs close by to nurture any cooking skills.
So like me, my DC do not enjoy cooking and look on it as a chore.

However I help with child care, I am hopeful at reversing this trend.
I spend time cooking and baking with my soon to be 4 yr old DGS which we both enjoy.

We do simple tasks eg sandwiches for lunch
Toppings on pizza, salads.
We make chocolate crispy cakes. Scones, fairy cakes and his favourite carrot cake

There is also a bit of maths.
Counting Spoonfuls, weighing ingredients and measuring liquids.

It also involves a lot of clearing up and wiping sticky hands and mouthsmile

Greyduster Fri 30-Jun-17 09:28:57

I used to like cooking but as I get older my culinary skills are waning - I seem to have developed a habit of missing ingredients out of things now with disasterous results. I missed the margarine out of a Victoria sponge mix last week and had to throw the whole thing away and start again. I have baked with my grandson from his being an early age - great fun - but now he's older, he's not so keen, though he will help prepare the veg for lunch if I ask him. My son was always interested in cooking and went on to train as a chef, but his career took him in a different direction. He still loves to cook though and thanks to him his two stepsons have gone to uni with a repertoire of dishes they can rustle up from scratch (whether they actually do is another matter!).

tanith Fri 30-Jun-17 09:40:52

I've cooked with my youngest GD just simple cakes and biscuits she enjoys it and now she is older helps prepare vegs and salads. We had a lot of fun times.

paddyann Fri 30-Jun-17 12:23:00

I started my own kids cooking when they were about 3 or 4 and I've done the same with the grandchildren,my 7 year old GD helps a lot and likes to make omelettes and pasta dishes,simple tomato sauces are a favourite and she can identify a lot of herbs in the garden,the 10 year old makes great fruit salads and makes good pastry ,she likes a quiche so getting decent pasty is crucial...lol. They all love cakes and have great fun decorating them .They get to do stuff their mums wont let them do ,,use knives and a gas cooker so its all exciting By the time my daughter got to high school she was capablle of making a three course meal and we're aiming for that with the girls noow

grannysue05 Fri 30-Jun-17 13:02:23

Always loved proper cooking...family meals and so on. Not much into cake and biscuit making, more savoury things.
Now I have three DGCs for tea every Monday to Friday and pride myself on giving them a hearty, healthy home cooked meal.
For the rest of the weekend their parents are seemingly too busy to provide much more than pizza or chicken strippers.
Love it when the DGC's enthuse over the meal...and they eat every scrap.

Greyduster Fri 30-Jun-17 14:50:24

Do we all start our GCs off with the same beginners staple - little grey jam tarts? Even if they wash their hands scrupulously, the pastry always seems to end up the same murky colour, having been scrunched, pounded and rolled a squillion times by an over enthusiastic four year old. I think my DH thought he had eaten his last little grey jam tart when my children finally acquired a modicum of expertise, but then my grandson came along, and grandad was doomed to feign relish for every mouthful all over again!

Teetime Fri 30-Jun-17 14:52:23

Yes I love cooking and keep trying new things, I cook everything from fresh no processed, fast food or takeaways. Sadly the grandchildren do not live nearby. I would love to be able to cook with them and show them how to cook properly as they seem to live on junk especially the older ones.

BBbevan Fri 30-Jun-17 15:17:54

Yup black currant tart in the oven at the moment. DD and SiL coming to dinner this evening. I have experimented a lot lately with Low Carb High Fat recipes and am really enjoying the food and the challenge. So too is DH