Gransnet forums

Food

Food obsessed, always feeling guilty

(55 Posts)
Antonia Sat 22-Jul-17 14:01:17

These days I can't seem to eat much without feeling guilty about it. I have high blood pressure, so shouldn't eat much salt, pre-diabetes so I shouldn't eat sweet things, or many carbs. I am about a stone overweight, so shouldn't be eating anything high in fat such as cheese. Red meat should be limited as it's bad for you. Ditto processed meat. I shouldn't be drinking more than a glass of wine a day.....And so the list goes on. I realise there is a lot left (fish, chicken, salads etc) and I do eat those, but I can't help regretting the days when I was younger and could eat anything. I feel guilty about eating pretty much anything that doesn't have the word 'salad' in it. Does anyone else have these thoughts or is it just me?

overthehill Sat 02-Sep-17 00:29:45

Antonia can't believe your DH has lived in France 17 years and not mastered the language.
Anyway sucessive government bodies have indeed brainwashed us into
thinking we must eat this we can't eat that. I had an issue with what constitutes a salad. Years ago for me it consisted of tomatoes lettuce and cucumber. Over time I felt, due to pressure I must buy practically every salad vegetable going. Along with this I hoped it would build my immunity against coughs and colds to which I am very prone. I even tried juicing so I could ram down as much of this stuff as possible using a liquid form. Needless to say, despite my best efforts the cough and cold still showed up a couple of times a year. I have now gone back to the salad veg I enjoy which is tomatoes cue lettuce and bell peppers.
As for salt I love it and one train of thought is we need it and to deprive ourselves of it is harmful.

Antonia Sun 06-Aug-17 13:32:14

Fran0251 I had a peek at the "Breakfast is a dangerous meal" book. (Using the Amazon 'look inside' feature). The author had a fasting blood sugar level of over 19 when he was diagnosed with diabetes, which is very high. Mine is usually in the 5.6 to 6.5 range, depending on what I have eaten the night before. The limit for a normal reading is 5.9, so that puts me in the prediabetic range. I see the author's point though. If you I don't eat then your blood sugar doesn't rise, and he obviously needed to do something pretty drastic to control his very high levels. For me breakfast is almost always eggs in some form or another, plus a little toast. I don't eat much lunch, usually yoghurt, cheese and nuts, so I couldn't function without breakfast. Flutt thank you for your suggestion of lemon juice. I will try it.

fluttERBY123 Sun 06-Aug-17 07:35:18

Antonia, if you are unwilling to eat flavourless food and must avoid salt, try lemon juice. It will buck up the flavour of pretty much anything and you don't really taste the lemon. All veg, fish and chicken, strawberries as well.

PamelaJ1 Sun 06-Aug-17 06:41:23

I know what you mean Antonia, you have to watch your diet because of your weight problems but although I am 5'6'' and a size 12 with no health issues I feel guilty when I read about something else that isn't good for me. Everything seems to give us something!
I have had to lose weight in the past, not masses but about 2 stone just to keep me on the right path. I once had a conversation with a huge woman (I was massaging her ) she told me she'd never noticed it going on. When I was young I didn't believe her but now I know that 2 lbs a year adds up.
I eat proper food, no low fat or sugar for me, most of my fat friends eat fat free. However, I gave up sugar in tea and coffee years ago and don't eat huge portions of anything. I wish cafes would do tiny portions of cake because I really only want a taste- not a whole slice.
Now wine, that's another subject.

Fran0251 Sun 06-Aug-17 05:27:19

The Paul McKenna diet is a good one. Eat absolutely anything you like, but only when you are hungry, and stop eating when you are not hungry. Interesting, but does work! Learning to listen to one's tummy is an interesting learning curve.
Also, if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic read the book, Breakfast is a Dangerous Meal. He cured himself, fascinating. Sorry, you can tell I read the Sunday papers!

Diggingdoris Sat 05-Aug-17 22:25:54

Antonia I know just how you feel. My Mum was diabetic and ate lots of things she shouldn't have which led to her early demise. I see myself going the same way as I just nibble at the wrong things and think afterwards ' Oh I shouldn't have had that'. I hear myself using all the excuses she used to say, and I worry that I'm going to suffer as she did. My willpower is NIL! My children say 'Don't do what Grandma did' and I must try to stop for all our sakes.

phantom12 Sat 05-Aug-17 20:42:53

Sometimes I think we need to decide what is more important to us. You can either prolong your life for a few years by restricting your diet or you can eat what you want and risk leaving this earth a little earlier. It is up to the individual.

allule Sat 05-Aug-17 17:26:24

The only time I use the scales now is to deduct my weight from me plus the cat!
Things swing backwards and forward in the health advice....eggs? Cheese? Butter or spread?.....so I go for what I like, and rely on the fear of indigestion to keep me within limits.
Seems to work,

rafichagran Sat 05-Aug-17 16:38:45

I have low blood pressure and no diabetes. I have no guilt what food I put in my mouth, neither do I get anxious.
I am over weight but the weight is carried on my bum, My BMI is 30. Doctor told me carrying the weight there is better than anywhere else.
I like my size 16 figure, and feel better than when I was size 10.
Typing this in a coffee shop after having a latte and a large slice of cake. Heaven

Jalima1108 Sat 05-Aug-17 15:10:15

6-8 is a bit too thin unless she is about 4'10" travelsafar. You sound fine to me!! I am aiming for a size 14 again!

Even my too-skinny DD looks and feels better when she goes up to a size 10 from an 8.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 05-Aug-17 14:17:07

There's so much guilt today in the food department which I'm sure I never felt or thought about too much when I was young (slim, shapely - with a waist).
Now the Food Police have so much advice for us, some of which is contradictory that it can be confusing.
Moderation in all things - including moderation.

dumdum Sat 05-Aug-17 12:20:00

I am diabetic and you need carbs...just not the 'empty' sort, which usually involve biscuits, cakes, croissants, puddings, white pasta. I used to be a diabetic nurse and used to say to my patients eat things that are as close to their natural state as possible. Think about it, it cuts out most of the 'rubbish'.

travelsafar Sat 05-Aug-17 12:07:24

loopyloo I too have a friend who makes me feel like a carthorse.
I have always said she could be dressed in a binliner and still look stylish!!!!
I am slightly over weight and a size 14/16 i need to loose about a stone i think, she is a tiny 6/8 so she looks good in everything.

JaneD3 Sat 05-Aug-17 11:24:06

Basically Atkins of old! No bread, pasta, starchy veg, rice etc but green veg and salads. Recently converted to cauliflower rice with curry and courgetti spaghetti with bolognaise. Do eat some fruit but not too much and no fruit juice. sad. My downfall, like so many GNs is alcohol grin

loopyloo Sat 05-Aug-17 11:17:30

Jane D3, I so agree about the carbs. Which sources are you following? Any tips?

loopyloo Sat 05-Aug-17 11:13:45

No , Antonia, we live in London, so we are close to our grandchildren so I fully understand your motives. Works both ways too as if we need help DS and DD are not too far away.
Wishing you all the best with the move. And these days the welfare state is disappearing so families need to help.

JaneD3 Sat 05-Aug-17 11:09:24

Still on nearly no carbs. In about 6 months I lost 3 1/2 stones and DH lost 2 1/2 but now we are stuck fast. Once the summer hols are over I shall have to up my exercise levels. I want to lose another 2 1/2 before DD's wedding next year. The trouble with low carb is the a weekend of normal food can put on 5lbs or more, which is SO disheartening sad

Antonia Sat 05-Aug-17 10:26:22

Wildswan, when I was younger I wasn't in the least overweight. As far as I know I didn't have high blood pressure either. The extra pounds came at menopause and although I dieted and lost a lot of weight, sadly it has all come back on.

Antonia Sat 05-Aug-17 10:22:40

Hi loopiloo. We are moving from France after 17 years here, mainly because we now have 3 grandchildren in the UK. We see 2 of them quite regularly, about every 3 months, but our youngest DGD we only see once a year. Also, there is language. My DH doesn't speak French. Well, apart from the very basics, and if anything happens to me, he couldn't cope here on his own. He wouldn't be capable of selling the house, or even calling a plumber etc. We are also at the age where we are physically capable of moving back, but we know of couples who have wanted to move back but we're unable to because of health, and find themselves stuck here. There were lots of reasons for us to stay here, but the reasons for going back were more important. I take it that you are in France too loopiloo? We are moving to Harrogate.

loopyloo Sat 05-Aug-17 09:42:03

Sorry, Antonia,.

loopyloo Sat 05-Aug-17 09:40:11

Oh Antonio, moving back from France ! I know it's intrusive but may I ask why? Mind you there is something glorious about this unpredictable climate. I tell myself it is character building.
Hope all goes well. Where are you moving back to?

loopyloo Sat 05-Aug-17 09:31:52

Dear Antonio, I so agree and feel the same. Am diet controlled type 2 with slightly high BP. Yesterday ate dreadfully.Went to allotment came home exhausted and ate 3 slices of shop bought cake and hotchocolate.
No self control at all.
Today am going to plan my healthy meals. I am ,I am..........
Anyone else have any advice?
Went to see a friend in the country who is slender and was wearing a chic summer dress. Known her for years . She has always made me feel like a cart horse . Sickening. Utterly.

nannahood Sat 05-Aug-17 09:26:48

Do you want to live longer or not? If so then get over it, eat properly and enjoy! If not then eat what you want and enjoy!

radicalnan Sat 05-Aug-17 09:19:59

I hate all healthy foods.............I am a vegetarian and not keen on vegetables. Fruit is horrible. I am a carb junkie...........why is life so unfair? Why can't chocolate be health food and suager good for your teeth?????

inishowen Sat 05-Aug-17 09:19:30

I love bread and I know I eat too much. I have two slices of toast for breakfast, and a sandwich for lunch. Hubby keeps asking why I won't have porridge for breakfast.It's because I love toast and butter so much! I really want to lose weight but unless I join a slimming club (again), I can't seem to do it.