Gransnet forums

Food

Cakes that freeze, please!

(22 Posts)
Miep1 Thu 03-Aug-17 11:21:34

I'm holding a Boules Tournament on the 20th in aid of our local Hospice and would like to make as many cakes in advance as possible.I'd prefer loaf type cakes, or round ones that you bake in one tin (rather than sandwich type) or a fluted ring cake, muffins etc. I'm not too bad a cook and have a Kenwood, but the easier the better because of the time constraints please. Help me save the day - there's one villager, who always organises things and has told people it can't be done in the time left! I may be small-minded, but I would love to prove her wrong!

grannysyb Thu 03-Aug-17 11:26:49

Banana and cherry loaf,date and walnut and light fruit cake should all freeze.

whitewave Thu 03-Aug-17 11:32:16

I make a Victoria sponge cake gluten free mostly for trifles and that seems to freeze well.

Imperfect27 Thu 03-Aug-17 11:40:28

Cakes - freezer?!

Reminds me of the comment about cooking with leftover red - which could be frozen in an ice cube tray wine (Delia Smith suggestion).

In our house, the cake doesn't make it beyond the first day or two... grin

Sorry, I digress . to answer the OP, how about courgette cake? I cannot tell you from experience smile, but would seem a possibility.

NonnaW Thu 03-Aug-17 11:53:21

I have made chocolate courgette cake which freezes well. Also a lemon & courgette cake (can you tell we have a glut of courgettes?). Just try googling cakes for freezing and you should get lots of ideas.

Synonymous Thu 03-Aug-17 12:14:39

Miep most things freeze pretty well and some things improve with keeping and don't need freezing anyway. Simple is good!

As for the 'organising villager there are always people who think things can't be done - mostly if they are not involved! Just remember the 'good enough' philosophy and don't try for perfection or beat yourself up about anything when someone says it could have been better. One can never argue with that statement anyway so best to pin on a big smile and just say "Oh, I ALWAYS think that too" and she can take that how she will! grin

Hope it all goes well. Enjoy!

shysal Thu 03-Aug-17 12:51:18

If you are worried about the time you have, I can recommend good old Betty Crocker! I once cheated for a last minute birthday, and the chocolate fudge cake was much lighter and moister than I could ever have produced. If you add your own icing (or even use B.C.again) nobody will ever know, and there are several varieties available. The mix I used was so generous that I made an extra small round and froze it successfully.
I think generally cakes are better frozen un-iced.
One time-saver is to always use a loaf tin and use a ready shaped paper liner (sold in supermarkets) so no greasing necessary.

I can recommend Mary Berry's banana loaf which is an all-in-one recipe and keeps well.

thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/banana-loaf

paddyann Thu 03-Aug-17 13:07:21

anything before its decorated,I made christening cakes and stored them in the freezer ,they were easier to crumb coat and ice too because they were solid .I always batch bake and freeze even scones and pancakes ,.

kittylester Thu 03-Aug-17 13:43:44

I make all in one sponges and freeze them and freeze the fillings separately.

MargaretX Thu 03-Aug-17 15:35:30

In my opinion all cakes can be frozen. Even cheesecake which was a No Go in my first freezer book 40 years ago.

I do a lemon drizzle cake which freezes perfectly
Yesterday I froze a full baking tray of German redcurrent cake. This actually tastes better than fresh when taken out 2 months later and thawed out in the oven and eaten warm.

mimiro Thu 03-Aug-17 16:08:37

if you dont frost or fill pretty much all baked goods freeze well
just be sure to cool completely
wrap in parchment paper than in cling film/plastic wrap

margaret>cheesecake is sold frozen,i love it frozen

Teetime Thu 03-Aug-17 16:36:54

Mary Berry's trabakes (I've just made 2) freeze well- ice them after defrosting.

Hilltopgran Thu 03-Aug-17 19:05:22

I make all my cakes in loaf tins with linners, I often make two and freeze one for another time. They are fine! I regularly freeze, ginger cake, lemon drizzel, cherry and almond. Dont be put off, getting ahead using your freezer is a great way to manage. I also find freezing scones uncooked once they are cut out works well, just bake them quickly on the day of the event.

M0nica Thu 03-Aug-17 21:27:26

I agree almost any cake can be frozen, except, I would think, meringues.

I regularly make cakes, cut them into slices and freeze them. We usually have tea and a slice of cake on a Sunday evening.

SueD Thu 03-Aug-17 22:06:19

Apple cake is great - stays moist (hate that word) and is enjoyed by most people. Easy to make too. I use the paper liners for my loaf tin. Cheat if necessary - Wrights make lovely cake mixes - top with a dollop of ready made frosting when defrosted and no-one would now the difference

ajanela Thu 03-Aug-17 22:34:01

Irish tea Brack
Soak 400 grams mixed dried fruit in 300 ml of tea. Leave to stand over night.
Add 300 grams self raising flour, 150 grams sugar (some brown is good) heaped teaspoon of mixed spice and 1 beaten egg to the fruit and tea. Mix all together, add a little milk to make a soft mixture. (No fat is needed)

Bake in a greased loaf tin, 180c, for about a 1 hour. Test with a screwer after 50 minutes to see if it is ready. I cover the cake with foil after 30 minutes to stop in browning too much. Turn out to cool on a rack. You can freeze the cake but it will keep well in an airtight tin.

Barmyoldbat Fri 04-Aug-17 09:11:57

You have all inspired me, going to start baking today! Back to the point use to make cakes and always froze half of what was made so go for it.

Miep1 Fri 04-Aug-17 10:57:14

Thanks to all for your recipes, please keep them coming! The more the merrier; I can see I'm going to be very busy next week

grannyticktock Sun 06-Aug-17 21:13:31

This reminds me - it's not a helpful contribution but it's about freezing cakes and it's granny-related - of when we were staying at my Mum's, and my daughter announced she was now six-and-a-half. My Mum looked in the freezer and found she had a frozen, semicircular half -cake there. It was duly thawed out and declared to be a half-birthday cake for her granddaughter.

overthehill Fri 01-Sep-17 23:58:44

We go caravanning.....a lot. I usually bake two fruit cakes at a time in loaf tins, then slice them before freezing then that's two trips covered. Tomorrow I'm taking a frozen victoria sponge cake with jam and butter cream filling round my DDs as a welcome home cake from her holiday.

Miep1 Sat 02-Sep-17 09:17:57

Thanks for all your recipes. The majority of the cakes sold and the Tournament raised £220 for the local Hospice. Considering it ....Ed down all day, it could have been worse. Better luck next year?

Lindylo Sat 02-Sep-17 09:51:20

The good old staple fruit loaf.