Gransnet forums

Food

Too many leaves and beans!

(9 Posts)
sluttygran Thu 17-Aug-17 12:58:19

My family all seem to be adopting veganism as an ethical choice.
I have to agree that their reasoning is sound, and current science points out that a vegan diet is perfectly healthy, but it makes my life in the kitchen rather difficult.
I'm finding it quite hard to produce tasty and imaginative food with no meat, fish, cheese, eggs or milk!
Anyone else in this situation, and how do you manage? Most of the available vegan recipe books are frankly a bit grim!

Alima Thu 17-Aug-17 13:05:33

I think that you are being very good trying to accommodate your family in their chosen path. Maybe they could be extra ethical and prepare their own meals or at least help with suggestions which suit them. Presumably they are old enough to be trusted in the kitchen?

sluttygran Thu 17-Aug-17 13:10:33

Oh, they all have their own homes and are very good cooks, but I have always enjoyed having them round for meals - and they invite me too!
I am a keen cook, but conventional, so hints and tips would be welcome. I like to feel that I can keep up with the young'uns when it comes to producing an interesting meal! smile

Eglantine19 Thu 17-Aug-17 13:15:40

Treat yourself to a monthly food magazine. Our Tesco has them on the shelf. Viva or Vegan food and Living and another one I can't remember. Vegan Today or something like that. I'm not vegan but find a lot of these echoes very tasty.

midgey Thu 17-Aug-17 13:16:04

My granddaughter is intolerant of wheat, dairy and eggs and has chosen to be vegetarian! ...oh and too much soya is too good for her eitherconfused. Your only hope is to look on line!

polyester57 Thu 17-Aug-17 13:25:18

My son has been vegan for over ten years, so I know the situation well. You need to look at it as a challenge rather than a chore, is the way I look at it. I mostly get inspiration from the internet, there are some great sites there, I don´t own a vegan cookbook. If my daughter and her family come and I have to cook for both meat-eaters and vegans, I usually adapt so that we can all eat at least the vegetables. For Christmas dinner for example, when we all sit down to turkey, my son has giant portobello mushrooms stuffed with a mixture of breadcrumbs, parsley and pine nuts, mixed up with a little soy cream. Brussel sprouts are for everyone and I roast all the potatoes in vegan margarine, so we can all have those too. For dessert he tucks into M&S lemon sorbet with fruit. Even though I have been known to bang a few pans and utter a few swear words when I´ve been really busy trying to cook two different dinners on occasion, on the whole I found that the experience has certainly broadened my horizons from just the usual boring meat and two veg type of food. I have even baked some great vegan cakes. Go into it with an open mind and you may be surprised. Good luck!

sluttygran Thu 17-Aug-17 13:37:35

Thanks everyone, I shall investigate Tesco's recipes. I shall also adopt your philosophy of embracing a challenge. I suppose having cooked meat 'n two veg type meals for so long, I have become set in my ways and I am having to think harder.
One thing I have learned is that the aubergine, so beautiful and luscious to look at, is not very tasty or useful! Apologies to lovers of the purple egg. smile

Eglantine19 Thu 17-Aug-17 15:06:14

They're not Tesco recipes. They're just magazines that sit with Good Housekeeping etc. Hope you find one you like!

henetha Thu 17-Aug-17 15:12:03

I've got three veggies in my family. But they no longer live with me, so it's easier. When they visit I haunt the vegetarian options in frozen cabinets. There are loads of things made from quorn or soya these days. I'm far too old now to chop up nuts etc....
Younger son is coming to brunch this Sunday. He will have eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, and quorn bacon or sausages. And maybe hash browns.