Gransnet forums

Food

My larder and other chutneys!

(20 Posts)
lemongrove Sat 19-Aug-17 21:00:28

Plum anything is delicious.?

lemongrove Sat 19-Aug-17 20:59:42

Our apple trees fruited from the second year, not sure about plums, used to have an old plum tree that came with the house/garden but it attracted so many wasps we chopped it down.

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Aug-17 20:52:10

and plum chutney

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Aug-17 20:51:57

Perhaps a Victoria plum, I do love plums, especially plum sponge and custard.

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Aug-17 20:51:10

Someone said that an apple tree took seven years to fruit so we may not get the benefit
or is that a morbid thought?

Bramble jelly is delicious!

merlotgran Sat 19-Aug-17 20:44:43

Oooh. Joanne Harris, Cherrytree. If only I had enough blackberries for some wine grin

Sending everyone a glass of wild plum vodka across the cyberwaves. It's a lovely dark golden colour and hits the spot nicely.

I think plum trees start fruiting in their third year, Jalima but ours is so old I can't remember that far back grin

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Aug-17 20:05:08

A question - or should this be on the gardening thread?

If we plant a plum tree how long before it fruits and will the wasps get to the fruit before we do?

Two questions, not one!

lemongrove Sat 19-Aug-17 20:03:44

Pass on not lass on, doh!

lemongrove Sat 19-Aug-17 20:03:09

Wild plum vodka! Marvellous??

I do very well from chutney making friends giving me a jar now and then ( some better than others) so don't make it myself.Will you become my friend Merlot and lass on some of your larder goodies, particularly the
Alcoholic ones. Thanks in advance.?

Cherrytree59 Sat 19-Aug-17 16:33:44

Agree Hipsy

Merlotgran I'm reminded of the lovely books by Joanne Harris wine

Hipsy Sat 19-Aug-17 14:40:29

Wonderful prose merlotgran
I am in your kitchen listening to the sloshing of the plum and ginger wine.
I also love this time of year, beginning of the harvesting.

merlotgran Sat 19-Aug-17 14:31:46

I think we might sample the wild plum vodka tonight. It's been in the cupboard for a month so a taste test is essential wink

Not that many greengages this year but I'm hoping there will be enough for some greengage gin!

Grapes won't be ready for a couple of weeks (ish) so DH is on bird watch. The blighters get in through broken panes in the roof of our very old greenhouse which will soon have to be demolished because he's now too old to keep getting up a ladder to fix them.

It's far too big for us to maintain now sad

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Aug-17 14:29:51

I still have apple butter, chilli apple jelly, jam and chutneys from previous years too.
Beans, courgettes, tomatoes, beetroot, apples to deal with.

I will swap some for a couple of bags of plums please!

Nelliemoser Sat 19-Aug-17 14:21:17

I am waiting for the Damson which ae not quite ready. I have a friend who has a Victoria plum tree with very branch laden with lovely plums. There are alsoDamsons coming on.
She is away next week so I am going to have to wait a bit. I have a recipe for a plum and cinnamon cake, pudding, whatever. That is lovely.

Teetime Sat 19-Aug-17 14:02:25

Anyone got a surplus of their wine making efforts I can help with?

Stansgran Sat 19-Aug-17 13:25:12

I'm finding that we don't use up what I make. I've still got apple butter and apple jelly from previous years and January's pasta de membrillas has had very little removed from it. I made two sorts of confiture de Noel and one of them I wasn't impressed with. We've only just finished an apricot and orange chutney printed in the Sunday times about three years ago and because I didn't like the trial pot I threw out the recipe and then when it had matured we liked it and now I haven't been able to Google the recipe. Will look up dealias Christmas one. Thanks Whitewave

whitewave Sat 19-Aug-17 12:58:55

The only chutney I make is Delia Christmas chutney. Been making it for years - everyone's favourite.

MiniMouse Sat 19-Aug-17 12:53:06

I'm very impressed Merlot! My OH has promised not to grow so many tomato plants next year - there's only so much patience and stamina I can muster for chutney making! I've decided to slice and freeze the rest. No idea if that will end well or not, we could be having a lot of tomato soup, I think! grin

annsixty Sat 19-Aug-17 12:41:10

I could say how lucky you are to have such a harvest, but like everything in life, luck depends on a lot of very hard work. So well done to you and enjoy " the fruits of your labour".

merlotgran Sat 19-Aug-17 11:51:59

Various jars have been through the dishwasher - spiders, tumble drier fluff, fen dirt and other foreign bodies are safely down the drain so off we go again.

As soon as he's finished his coffee, DH will be poised over his favourite chopping board (I have to have the wobbly one) ready for the off!

Today it's spiced plum and apple chutney and plum and mulled wine jam. Yesterday's plum and ginger wine ingredients are sloshing around in a bucket waiting for the next stage.

Courgettes and beetroot have already been dealt with!

My brother and I have a 'chutney swap' the week before Christmas which involves a boozy pub lunch, discussion about recipes and a good old catch up.

I love this time of the year.