Gransnet forums

Food

Mayonnaise

(22 Posts)
Auntieflo Wed 06-Sep-17 13:04:41

I like to keep a big jar of mayonnaise in the fridge, ( the one that starts with an H), but recently I have found it quite salty. Is it just my taste buds changing, or has the recipe altered. There is another thread on changing taste , but didn't know whether to put it on there, or start a new thread.

grannysue05 Wed 06-Sep-17 13:08:39

We use H...mayonnaise too but I have not noticed any difference in the recipe.
Some other brands seem very bland in comparison to 'Hel......."

jollyg Wed 06-Sep-17 13:37:44

Its a doddle to make your own.

Egg oil and a machine, I use a whisk.Oil I use rapeseed, suppossed to be good for you!

All ingredients at Room Temp, beat till you get n amalgam of the egg and oil. Taste to preference, and add vinegar, lemon juice , garlic paste, salt, pepper whatever floats your boat.

That will beat any ee nos in Hellmans, and you have made it yourself, keep in the fridge and enjoy.

Teetime Wed 06-Sep-17 14:15:21

I am the one woman in the entire world nay universe that loathes the stuff (yes even if I make it myself) and its everywhere!!!

Teetime Wed 06-Sep-17 14:15:48

Oh yes and the worst thing is that people call it Mayo!!!!! eurgghhh!!!

pensionpat Wed 06-Sep-17 14:20:03

I don't like mayonnaise either. But I love salad cream, particularly the one which also begins with H. Reminds me of having it spread on bread when a child. No meat or cheese. Just salad cream.

Pittcity Wed 06-Sep-17 14:34:04

Salad cream sandwiches....heaven!!!

Greyduster Wed 06-Sep-17 16:05:42

I love a good mayonnaise. We bought some at a tiny deli in St David's once and it was the best I have ever tasted (even my son said so and he makes his own) but mostly I use the one referred to above, and no, I haven't noticed any difference in the taste when it is slathered on my bacon, lettuce and tomato panini!

downtoearth Wed 06-Sep-17 16:34:33

Salad cream and beetroot sandwiches...heaven

Charleygirl Wed 06-Sep-17 16:36:24

OMG where were you lot dragged up? Some of that food is really disgusting.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Sep-17 17:16:27

Mayonnaise AND salad cream are both evil!!

Pittcity Wed 06-Sep-17 17:45:04

Ooh, that sounds delish DTE ?

Scribbles Wed 06-Sep-17 17:49:24

I agree with the OP re the big H brand being salty. It's never been my favourite but I ran out of my usual a few weeks ago and bought some H... In the corner shop. Disappointing sad
My usual, not salty, choice is own brand organic mayonnaise from a supermarket starting with T and ending with O.

wildswan16 Wed 06-Sep-17 17:53:16

I can't stand mayonnaise (or salad cream). I always have to check that it won't go anywhere near my food - the smell makes me feel really ill. It seems to be dolloped on so many things nowadays.

harrigran Wed 06-Sep-17 18:46:33

Aldi mayonnaise came out top in a blind tasting, I haven't tried it yet but intend to. The H bottle I have has an interesting nozzle and makes lovely patterns on the top of a salad.
Don't go to Belgium they serve it with chips, not my taste but youngest GD likes it.

Auntieflo Wed 06-Sep-17 19:49:17

Scribbles, I bought some T...o mayonnaise this afternoon, but not the organic sort. We have a Lidl, but no Aldi in town, but I haven't tried either brands.
Harrigran, I love mayonnaise on chips, smile,sorry.
As to salad cream, love that as well, and am so glad that Heinz decided to bring it back after withdrawing it for a while.

Blinko Wed 06-Sep-17 19:52:26

Lovely word, 'Dolloped'....

Baggs Wed 06-Sep-17 20:30:46

Salad cream in butties that contain lettuce. Mayo (? teetime) with tuna and sweetcorn and pasta.

CherryHatrick Wed 06-Sep-17 20:37:10

Favourite after-school snacks; salad cream on sliced bread or Branston pickle on cream crackers...

GrandmaMoira Wed 06-Sep-17 20:40:17

I find most mayo is salty. It's also quite rich and I only like a small amount. It's one of the few foods that I find needs to be an expensive brand to be palatable.
I do prefer salad cream, any brand.

BlueBelle Wed 06-Sep-17 20:54:44

Maionaise with chips or side of curry mashed with hard boiled egg in fact I could eat it with anything really, never noticed it being salty but then I love salt so guess I d not taste it
Not keen on salad cream though love onion relish, and mangy chutney and lime too

tidyskatemum Wed 06-Sep-17 20:58:25

The very words "salad cream" make me shudder. I remember TV adverts with close ups of the horrible stuff smothering lettuce leaves and it always made me feel quite ill. H's light mayonnaise on the other hand makes great tartare sauce and coleslaw without many calories.