Gransnet forums

Food

Talking turkey

(11 Posts)
Swanny Wed 06-Sep-17 21:26:08

woms = worms grin

Swanny Wed 06-Sep-17 21:20:17

I'm with merlotgran re buying another just in case the original doesn't pass the sniff test. If it smells ok cook and serve it up for the midwinter feast, maybe using the 2nd one at Easter 2018. If it does not smell ok then you've just got to bite the bullet and chuck it in the waste food bin, where it will at least feed the woms that can turn it into compost grin

Norah Wed 06-Sep-17 21:04:48

Cook and use it now. I cook turkeys for lots of seasons and reasons.

MawBroon Wed 06-Sep-17 20:45:39

Don't think I'd like one of those.
What does it say?
grin

kittylester Wed 06-Sep-17 20:42:30

We cooked last year's turkey breast just the other week ( we had flu at you know when) - it wasn't nice!

merlotgran Wed 06-Sep-17 20:25:38

Buy another one just in case, defrost the one in your freezer, have a good sniff before cooking which should determine whether or not it's OK.

Cook as per your usual recipe.

Freeze the one you've just bought.

Repeat the procedure next year grin

phoenix Wed 06-Sep-17 19:57:41

Thanks for the responses.

vamp, not sure what you mean? confused

Eglantine, I've never done a dry one yet, plenty of butter and bacon on top, proper stuffing made with sausage meat and chestnuts etc inside.

Blinko good freezer, loads of stars, but what would happen if I defrosted, cooked and sniffed, and found it lacking? What would we do then on that day?

Blinko Wed 06-Sep-17 19:49:13

I'd say, speaking technically (number of stars on freezer and all that), probably not. But speaking from a purely practical standpoint (my usual one) I'd make sure it was thoroughly defrosted, then thoroughly cooked through and if it still stood the smell test, I'd serve it....shock

Eglantine19 Wed 06-Sep-17 19:46:21

Yes, if it's frozen it should be fine. Might be even more dry than usual though. Lubricate it well grin

vampirequeen Wed 06-Sep-17 19:45:18

I would save it to use at the end of the year.

phoenix Wed 06-Sep-17 19:43:01

Evening all.

Now, I have a turkey (not a talking one) in the freezer that I bought last you know when .

My question is, do you think it would ok for this year's you know what

Thanks in advance!