Gransnet forums

Food

Weekend cooking anyone?

(57 Posts)
Shirleyw Fri 22-Sep-17 08:53:35

Trying out a couple recipes from Nigellas new book....chicken fricassee, roasted maple plums and the white chocolate cheesecake....will take the cheesecake to my daughter's as I'm picking up my granddaughters for the weekend.

CherryHatrick Sun 24-Sep-17 16:45:57

Chicken about to be trussed for the spit; it's trial and error to see if it is too big to fit and not be too close to the elements. If too big it will be put in the oven with the roast potatoes, as will the bread and butter pudding that at the moment is soaking up the eggy liquid.
roastchicken

Norah Sun 24-Sep-17 16:13:18

Yesterday cauliflower curry soup, bread and salad. Today shredded pork, buns, cabbage salad, beans and banoffee pavlova.

annsixty Sun 24-Sep-17 11:52:03

It was petra?

whitewave Sun 24-Sep-17 09:49:03

Duck and apple with various vegetables.

petra Sun 24-Sep-17 09:42:44

annsixty
Lamb and dauphinois potatoes, a match made in heaven.

TriciaF Sun 24-Sep-17 09:39:04

I tend to make the same thing each week - usually a chicken casserole with lots of different vegetables and a bunch of mixed fresh herbs from the garden. It lasts us 2 or 3 main meals. And sometimes a pie with the leftovers.
For dessert last week I bought a bag of frozen raspberries and tried to make a sponge flan. I'd just bought a flan tin from Lakeland but it's NO GOOD! Falls apart and sticks.
So scraped out the sponge and made a sort of trifle with instead. Thickened the rasps with a little cornflour.

Greyduster Sun 24-Sep-17 07:51:00

Roast leg of pork today with all the trimmings (GS will be here so it's a must!) followed by apple and blackberry crumble or chocolate brownie or grandad's signature mandarin jelly! The curry was lovely and there is enough for a quick meal tommorrow when I come back from fishing (just as well, because on my present form, it is unlikely there will be trout on the menu!).

Shirleyw Sun 24-Sep-17 06:03:10

Some great cooking go on....also, make the most of the weather, been lovely this weekend

whitewave Sat 23-Sep-17 20:31:34

You sound sensible legs because you are cooking for yourself. I am lazy by nature and sure I wouldn't bother.

Legs55 Sat 23-Sep-17 20:27:53

Whatever I find in the freezer. Saturday is often stir-fry night, anything which needs using up, very often pure vegetarian. Sunday will be whatever I find, know I have a salmon steak, might have some chicken & there is an Aunt Bessie Toad in the Hole (not worth making it for one & doesn't re-heat). Some weekends I will cook a chicken on Sunday, have roast 2 days then strip carcase & make stock. Freeze all spare chicken for meals later on. Not so much fun cooking for one.

annsixty Sat 23-Sep-17 19:32:43

My rack of lamb was absolutely delicious as was my homemade dauphinoise potatoes. H had frozen chips and mushrooms. The bottle of Malbec just finished it off to perfection.

Sheian57 Sat 23-Sep-17 19:07:54

I have just made a fish pie with salmon, smoked haddock, cod and prawns. The sauce was made with the fish stock and quark. It was delicious. DH had seconds. Roast chicken done in slow cooker tomorrow. Have a fab weekend

whitewave Sat 23-Sep-17 18:05:59

Just eaten our spaghetti puttanesca - so simple and delicious

Would recommend!

kittylester Sat 23-Sep-17 17:58:32

That's what I thought too!

Grannyknot Sat 23-Sep-17 17:52:08

Dianic but boiled eggs only take 5 minutes anyway?! confused

granfromafar Sat 23-Sep-17 17:49:30

Prepared a pork/veg and lentil casserole this morning which I put in the slow cooker so has been simmering nicely for a good few hours and smell delicious! That meant I could spend ages browsing round the shops this morning while OH was out. Found a few bargains in a big charity shop sale (everything £2 or less) so overall a good day!

Mapleleaf Sat 23-Sep-17 17:44:01

greyduster will you share the recipe? I love a chicken curry! ?

Auntieflo Sat 23-Sep-17 17:36:03

Have been invited to DD for lunch tomorrow, great, no cooking to do. Today we had relatives here for lunch and will eat left overs for supper. That's what I call a good weekend.

paddyann Sat 23-Sep-17 17:25:30

grandtanteJE65 do you smoke the garlic for your homemade cheese ?

grandtanteJE65 Sat 23-Sep-17 15:37:58

Summer cabbage in white sauce with homemade meat balls

Homemade cream cheese with garlic (not to be eaten with the above, I may say)

Baking bread

Possibly make an apple tart, as we have loads of apples in garden, but they don't store well.

oldgaijin Sat 23-Sep-17 14:19:34

I'll just stir the deep freeze round and see what comes to the surface...I do hate cooking for one so there are lots of odd containers of God knows what to finish up.

Dianic Sat 23-Sep-17 13:42:26

I'm cooking Spaghetti Carbonara this evening, and sinfully, will probably make Burgers in buns with big chips, onion rings, etc. tomorrow as we had roast dinner last week!! DGS is tricky at the moment and we're still decorating so I'm keeping it simple!

@grannysue05 - do you have a pressure cooker cookbook? I love using mine! Did boiled eggs in it this morning for breakfast - so quick!

A delivery guy asked my husband what I was cooking one day as it smelled so good... and was shocked to find I was cooking for the dogs (in the pressure cooker), lol! He reckons our dogs eat better than him!! :D

paddyann Sat 23-Sep-17 11:15:10

new cook book arrived here this morning so we'll be having something originating from Yotem Ottolenghi ,probably lamb ...I think

GrammaH Sat 23-Sep-17 11:08:33

Green soup for us today - we have a glut of all things green in the garden so it will be a blend of leeks, courgette, kale, cavallo Nero, cabbage and the last of the French beans. Delicious & healthy too.

marpau Sat 23-Sep-17 11:01:59

Productive morning here using up last of garden fruits before we go away next week 8 Apple and bramble crumbles and 6 rhubarb all cooked ready for freezer Ds and Dgc will arrive shortly to take most away to his house also 12 jars bramble jam and 12 gooseberry jam. Just having a coffee while waiting for 2 fruit cakes and Apple cake to cook. Hoping for Chinese takeaway tonight