Gransnet forums

Food

Mincemeat

(6 Posts)
Shirleyw Fri 06-Oct-17 06:51:51

......do you make your own mincemeat? I have been making Delias mincemeat for over 30 years. I make myself a batch and a batch for my sister. I shall try out her mincemeat with cranberries as well this year and share it out.

Imperfect27 Fri 06-Oct-17 07:00:38

No, I don't, but a fruity idea I have been using for some years now is when making Christmas cakes - if I have dried fruit left over, I put it in a good jar, cover it with a fortified wine or spirit and keep it in the fridge for the months leading up to Christmas. It is a delicious accompaniment, spooned over e.g. vanilla ice cream. If there is any 'forgotten' at the back of the fridge by the end of the year, I bung it in the next Christmas cake. (Tells you something about my fridge grin)

M0nica Fri 06-Oct-17 07:02:28

I have made my own for years. Where the recipe came form originally, I have no idea. It was given to me by a friend.

It is now essential that I make my own mincemeat s DGD is allergic to almonds and some other nuts but loves all the traditional mixed fruit Christmas fare; the cake, pudding and mince pies. Making all three myself, including the mincemeat means that I can be absolutely sure she can enjoy them without any worries about allergic reactions.

The one thing I would like to find is an acceptable almond flavoured alternative to marzipan that does not include almonds.

Pippa000 Fri 06-Oct-17 09:14:15

I have always made my own, using a lot of different fruit and no suet as the family don't like it. I use things like dried mango, kiwi fruit, as well as the usual raisins etc, I also never add sugar as the fruits are usually sweet enough.. Soaked overnight in alcohol, usually a mix of rum and brandy, and then freeze, it does not freeze solid so can be used in to pies and is lovely in baked apples.

Nannarose Fri 06-Oct-17 14:53:35

M0nica, I find that cashews work very well as an almond substitute for texture. The flavour is not so good. I have been told that I could 'probably' add almond essence (!) but don't care to try it.
I find adding brandy helps (as always!) but suspect you will never get the taste quite right. There's a reason marzipan has been used for hundreds of years!

M0nica Fri 06-Oct-17 18:56:09

The problem with allergies DGC cannot eat cashews either, hazelnuts are also a no-no. I take no risks and avoid nuts completely. I really need a non-nut based alternative with a non-almond based almond flavouring,