Gransnet forums

Food

M & S meal deals

(22 Posts)
Floradora9 Fri 06-Oct-17 12:03:56

Anyone else think these are great . We live 20 miles from our nearest M & S so cannot just pop in but if we are near it I love the meal deals ( currently running until the 10th ) . You get a main course for two , a side of potatoes or salad ( different things each time ) and a sweet course for two and to top it all a bottle of wine . It costs ten pounds but on buying three I saved almost twenty seven pounds. I would not normally buy prepared potatoes or puddings but for a treat it is lovely and hardly any cooking. We got lovely sirloin steaks yesterday with ours.
By the way I have discovered if I cook lots of baking potatoes when the oven is on anyway I can halve them and freeze them. Wrap in foil then I take one out when I want it and give it less than 3 mins in the microwave and it is done .
Great for me at lunch time as I avoid bread and rolls .

Charleygirl Fri 06-Oct-17 12:09:25

Waitrose also are doing a good meal for a tenner for two. I am not a fan of desserts so I had a starter for my supper last night- just enough for a main meal for one. I will get three meals out of it for myself + the wine- excellent.

Maggiemaybe Fri 06-Oct-17 12:20:18

I 'm a fan of the M & S deals (we don't have a Waitrose around here, though I'd love one). I always usually avoid the puddings and prepared sides, going instead for fruit and the plainer veg options, but the deals are well worth it just for the mains and wine alone. We usually get steaks or chicken, often to put in the freezer, and that with the wine is worth around £16 for starters.

Kim0612 Fri 06-Oct-17 12:23:36

I love them too, they are good value & if you can freeze the items for at a later date even better!!

lemongrove Fri 06-Oct-17 13:06:24

Yes, we buy the meal deals, had one this week, steak, new potatoes, pudding ( we give to DD) and wine, a nice treat.

NanaandGrampy Fri 06-Oct-17 13:50:40

We love them too but got a terrible shock with our recent one as we are following a slimming world diet .

The dessert alone was 27syns PER PERSON !! ( you are allowed between 10 and 25 syncs per day dependant onyour weight).

So it will have to be a real treat going forward :-(

Maggiemaybe Fri 06-Oct-17 14:07:16

You can always go for the fresh fruit option, NanaandGrampy, as I always usually occasionally do. grin

NanaandGrampy Fri 06-Oct-17 14:41:27

Maggiemayb now where would be the fun in that? Lol

I knew it would involve syns I was just shocked at how many, even worse my main course was 17 syns and one of the veggie options more than that!!

That will teach me to check before I buy - talk about handicap yourself!!

Teetime Fri 06-Oct-17 14:54:17

I steer clear of the meal deals for that very reason they are quite high in calories (fat and sugar) but Ok for an occasional treat.

GillT57 Fri 06-Oct-17 15:55:49

great value. I buy them when I am in M & S. We often split one meal into two days and will for example, have a pot of home made soup with the lovely puddings one day, and then the main and veg course the next. Sometimes they are even better value when they pop a whole chicken in as main course, can get two or three meals out of that with roast, risotto/pie and soup. And to top it all, there is a bottle of wine.

Shirleyw Sun 08-Oct-17 06:02:42

Yes, I get the £10 dine in for two ....never yesterday, popped in to m&s at 8.30 yesterday hoping for the sirloin steak...none in, I asked and she said none had come in, neither had the rotisserie chicken...was not happy at that, they should make sure they have stock in when they do these deals....Saturday being a popular day as well....had to buy the sirloin separately tut....

Imperfect27 Sun 08-Oct-17 06:09:39

Yes, love them! We went for the salmon this weekend! Nice to have an extra bottle of wine in the house for the weekend too! Sometimes the choices seem limited, but this time around there was plenty of variety and all nice quality.

Niobe Sun 08-Oct-17 09:35:24

I usually take the whole chicken as the main and an apple pie as the dessert if these are offered. That way I get two good meals for the two of us by adding in an extra portion of veg. Two meals for two for about £11 !

Charleygirl Sun 08-Oct-17 09:40:57

I do wish that the dessert could be exchanged for a starter because I do not like desserts. Depending on what I buy, with added vegetables I can sometimes stretch a main course for two into 3 meals for myself, freezing one so that I am not eating the same food day after day.

Tegan2 Sun 08-Oct-17 10:05:47

Yes; we had the steak....I'm not much of a meat eater and not keen on steak but it was lovely. I also rarely drink but with a ten pound meal you get a seven pound bottle of wine. We particularly like their curries, which we sometimes freeze for later, especially when we have a money off voucher to use up.

Maggiemaybe Sun 08-Oct-17 20:40:50

I called in at our local M & S today to grab a deal for tea. The shelves were full of sides, puddings and wine, but there wasn't a single main course left. I think someone might have slipped up on the stock order.... DH whipped up a very impressive aubergine and pea curry instead, which was probably better for us. smile

NanKate Sun 08-Oct-17 20:57:14

We had the pork medallions, mixed veg, and trifle plus wine this weekend, it was all scrummy. We can make the trifle go into about 6/7 portions. DH usually has last dibs so that he can scrape out all the cream from around the sides.

I prefer the M and S £10 meal to the Waitrose one. We also like the M and S stir fry offer £7.00 meat, veg, selection of stringy things, can’t remember the name shock and a sachet of sauce.

annsixty Sun 08-Oct-17 21:26:27

We had the chicken breasts with a cheesy topping. Ok but not the best thing we have had.
As someone else said,I prefer the whole chicken which is very economical for us as our appetites are small. A good roast dinner, sandwiches and stock for soup. Apple pie will last two days, wine gets drunk in one sitting.!!

lemongrove Sun 08-Oct-17 21:31:26

The Waitrose meal deal is excellent too, and you can have a starter instead of a pud, also a small box of Lily O’Brian chocs instead of wine.

phoenix Sun 08-Oct-17 21:41:51

Morrison's do a very good Indian or Chinese "take away" offer, 2 mains and 2 side dishes for £6.

We usually have the chicken Korma (mild, but loads of flavour) king prawn bhuna (hottish, with loads of big prawns) aloo ghobi saag, then either a tub of rice, or tarka Dahl.

If we go for the Dahl, I go mad and splash out on a nana bread!

So we have a chicken dish, a prawn one, 2 veg side dishes and bread to mop it up, yummy, good size portions, and I definitely couldn't cook it for that money!

Loads of other choices too, in the Indian range, plus they do Chinese and Thai with the same deal.

Charleygirl Sun 08-Oct-17 21:54:53

Sounds good phoenix I must investigate having just done an on line shop. That is very cheap. I do like rice but I could always cook it myself.

lemongrove Sun 08-Oct-17 22:41:30

That does sound good Phoenix very yummy, and I especially like the sound of the nana bread.?