Gransnet forums

Food

Storing Christmas cake

(9 Posts)
overthehill Fri 17-Nov-17 22:19:05

Today made 2 Christmas cakes one for us and one for daughter. This is my problem.
I only have 1 box and it is suggested you double wrap cakes in greaseproof then tin foil then put in box.
Do they really need to go in a box? I could freeze them but wanted to add spirit a couple of times so no good being frozen.
Any suggestions please

ElaineI Fri 17-Nov-17 22:25:11

I would put another layer of tinfoil and put in a cool place eg. larder or garage. Never had to freeze them and don't have a box that size. The alcohol will preserve them x

SueDonim Fri 17-Nov-17 22:47:29

I agree with ElaineI. Just wrap them well and they'll be fine. I've been making Christmas cakes since the 1970's and never had one go bad!

overthehill Fri 17-Nov-17 22:51:54

Thanks very much think I'll go with another layer of foil. I have thought maybe put them in a large zip lock bag to.

paddyann Sat 18-Nov-17 00:31:10

greaseproof paper and tinfoil is what I've always done with mine and never had any problems.I keep them in a kitchen cupboard

Shirleyw Sat 18-Nov-17 06:09:26

Same here, wrapped well in grease proof then foil....

Shirleyw Sat 18-Nov-17 06:11:33

.....zip lock bag!.....I know it'll be wrapped well but wouldn't that make it sweat?....just curious....unless I lost the plot lol....

Willow500 Sat 18-Nov-17 06:16:40

Haven't made a Christmas cake in years - very tempted to this year but in the end bought one last night. I always used to feed mine with brandy every week when I did make them and keep them wrapped in foil. Remember one year I used the same recipe for my son's Christening which must have been about Sept time - the girls I worked with then all wanted me to make them Christmas cakes. I think I made about 10 that year. My mum always kept hers wrapped in greaseproof and fed it regularly - being from up north they never cut into it until New Years Eve and then had it with sherry and cheese smile

Deedaa Sat 18-Nov-17 22:16:40

I've always wrapped mine in foil and regularly dosed with alcohol. Certainly no need to freeze. Remember the old custom of keeping one tier of the wedding cake for the christening.