Gransnet forums

Food

What do you mean by a “ cooked breakfast”?

(39 Posts)
Daddima Tue 05-Dec-17 12:39:15

For me, it means the full fried business, eggs, bacon, Lorne sausage, black pudding, potato scones and mushrooms, but DEFINITELY NO BEANS!
I wouldn’t count toast,boiled or scrambled eggs, bacon sandwiches etc.
What say you?

Willow500 Wed 06-Dec-17 17:12:39

I'm not keen on fried eggs so it would be scrambled egg, mushrooms, crispy bacon, no sausage (yuk), black pudding and hash browns and definitely has to have beans with toast. For OH it would be fried egg, sausage and definitely NO beans - he sends anything back with beans on - once ate them as a child and was sick so never eaten them since!

Katek Wed 06-Dec-17 16:49:38

Greek yoghurt! Honey! Tsk tsk Merlot-best porridge is made with water and salt perhaps served with a splash of milk. Us hardy northern Scots can vouch for that! Still lads going around in tshirts up here!

M0nica Wed 06-Dec-17 15:08:57

A cooked breakfast is just that, a breakfast that includes an item that has been cooked so could just be porridge. As a child a 'cooked breakfast' was something on toas;, beans, spaghetti, cheese, scrambled egg etc

A fried breakfast, very much a weekend treat, was a fried egg, rasher of bacon OR a sausage, and a small piece of fried bread and, on occasion, in season, a fried tomato, or some fried mushrooms.

Daddima Wed 06-Dec-17 14:45:19

Merlotgran, I’ve just watched a programme on the Queen’s kitchen, where the chef said that Her Majesty had a “ first course”, never a “starter”.
And, well said, Phoenix; beans on toast, or with Scotch pie, fine, but NEVER with breakfast.

lemongrove Tue 05-Dec-17 22:32:27

I’m starving now reading all this! tchgrin

merlotgran Tue 05-Dec-17 22:29:33

I make my 'proper porridge' in a double saucepan so it doesn't need stirring and I can pop off and have a shower and it's ready for a dollop of Greek yoghurt and a drizzle of honey when I get back.

grumppa Tue 05-Dec-17 21:27:28

Bacon, sausage, black pudding, mushrooms, tomatoes, baked beans, fried bread, and hash browns if available.

mollie Tue 05-Dec-17 21:11:44

Every breakfast is a cooked breakfast to me because I have to cook it! Yes, that means proper (not instant) porridge (lots of stirring), or scrambled or boiled eggs as well as the full English. Our FE has black pudding, hash browns, bacon, sausages, eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes with toast (or fried bread if I dare) but it’s a rare treat these days.

Greyduster Tue 05-Dec-17 21:07:56

My ideal cooked breakfast would involve smoked haddock and a poached egg, or Whitby kippers. Other than that, it would be bacon, egg, mushrooms, grilled tomatoes and a Derbyshire oatcake!

phoenix Tue 05-Dec-17 20:36:02

Baked beans are NOT a breakfast food!

When I had a job that involved travel and staying in various hotels, some would have a hot help yourself breakfast buffet, others had waitress service, where you could order what you wanted, one had an option whereby you could choose either continental or "full English", with no option as to what it consisted of!

The full English came with baked beans, but someone had clearly thought it through, and the beans were on the side of the plate contained in a ranking, full marks to that person!

Alima Tue 05-Dec-17 20:11:15

Thanks for the recipe Daddima, although I could do with earning some brownie points cooking may be a step too far. Will pass the info onto himself and pop to Iceland!

Marydoll Tue 05-Dec-17 20:06:29

Daddima Thanks for the link to the Lorne sausage recipe. I may just have a go at making them.
My favourite is a fresh, buttered roll with square slice. It reminds me of my childhood.

etheltbags1 Tue 05-Dec-17 19:58:42

I just eat fairly simply so a cooked breakfast is a couple of scrambled eggs on toast or rarely a fried egg and bacon in a bun

GrandmaMoira Tue 05-Dec-17 19:52:42

Here in London you would not get either Lorne sausage or potato scones in a cooked breakfast, they are not part of a full English and not on any options in a cafe or B&B.
I think the traditional items are bacon, egg, sausage, mushroom, tomato. Most cafes offer hash browns, baked beans and sometimes chips, rarely black pudding. I don't think chips should be served at breakfast.

Ailsa43 Tue 05-Dec-17 19:44:10

alima you can buy Lorne sausage here in the saarff.. in the frozen section in Iceland , (although not quite as delicious as fresh Scottish butchers' style) it's more readily available in Butchers in the North of England than it is in the South, as well of course in every butchers shop in Scotland

Daddima Tue 05-Dec-17 19:20:12

Alima, many Brownie points to be gained by making this treat!

delishably.com/meat-dishes/lorne-sausages

KatyK Tue 05-Dec-17 19:00:02

If my DH has a cooked breakfast, it consists of sausages, bacon, mushrooms, fried egg and fried bread. I'm not keen on cooked breakfasts myself.

Smithy Tue 05-Dec-17 18:53:35

I can remember square sausage when I was a child.
I'm veggie now so a cooked breakfast would be any of the following,
Veggie sausage?e (not LM)
Tinned or grilled tomatoes
Hash Browns
Any kind of egg
Toast or fried bread
Mushrooms
Baked beans.
Hungry now!

kittylester Tue 05-Dec-17 18:47:39

Grilled smoked streaky bacon (3 rashers), sausage (1), fried egg (1), fried button mushrooms, grilled tomatoes, fried bread. In the old days it would also include black pudding but gf ones are few and far between! sad

Only eaten out or in a hotel. I might have kippers instead.

Alima Tue 05-Dec-17 16:25:56

DH loves square sausage, didn’t know it was called Lorne sausage too. Must see if I can buy it here “darn sarf”, not eaten it for years.

Day6 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:05:12

To me anything that requires more effort - like getting out pans and lighting the cooker - is a cooked breakfast. Even croissants instead of toast!

Fruit, yogurt and cereal is the norm for me. Have just thought - heating up porridge might be a cooked breakfast! I do that. I am exerting myself more than I thought! smile

BBbevan Tue 05-Dec-17 15:55:44

Exactly Coolgran Anything hot, except perhaps waffles . I would consider them in the cereal group, even with berries and yogurt

Largolass Tue 05-Dec-17 15:54:25

My OH likes a full Scottish bacon, sausage, poached egg, mushrooms, tomato, haggis and black pudding

For me it's a tomato & cheese omelette or scrambled eggs with smoked salmon

We only have this when we're on holiday

Coolgran65 Tue 05-Dec-17 14:56:40

To me, cooked breakfast is hot food on a plate and eaten with a knife and fork.

varian Tue 05-Dec-17 14:52:49

For my OH a cooked breakfast is crispy unsmoked bacon, chipolata sausages, fried egg, mushrooms, fried tomato and fried potato if there is any leftover cooked potato in the fridge.

For me it is creamy scrambled eggs on wholemeal seedy toast, smoked salmon and grilled tomato.

For both of us cooked breakfast is an occassional treat at home, but always make the most of it when we stay in a B&B