Gransnet forums

Food

Biscuit gifts

(5 Posts)
watermeadow Wed 13-Dec-17 17:12:26

I want to fill a biscuit tin with homemade goodies. I plan to put each variety in a sealed plastic bag.
I thought the biscuits would last a couple of weeks, from baking to finishing in the New Year, but, looking up advice on line, some say they will only last a few days.
Have you given or received biscuits as a gift? How long did they stay crisp?

Greyduster Wed 13-Dec-17 19:09:58

My grandson and I made some gingerbread men a couple of weeks ago and plans to decorate them went by the board so I put them in a plastic bag and then in an airtight tin and yesterday, they were still nice and crisp. They will last up to three weeks like that, and longer if you freeze them. I have kept home made shortbread in an airtight tin with a couple of sugar cubes for a few weeks (nothing edible lasts long in our house!).

watermeadow Thu 14-Dec-17 06:28:53

Thanks, I’ve made tons of such goodies in my time, but always for immediate eating. They don’t last a fortnight in this house but I need a gift to last longer.

Greyduster Thu 14-Dec-17 16:24:50

Could you make the dough and cut them out and then batch freeze them and cook them just before they’re needed?

Farmor15 Fri 15-Dec-17 16:37:04

Most biscuits last quite a long time (weeks at least) as long as kept airtight. We’ve been sent boxes from Germany and they’ve lasted months (they sent a lot!)
I regularly make up boxes of homemade goodies.
Choc truffles- melted choc, cream, butter with added extras.
Choc biscuit cake cut in small squares.
Iced biscuits in Christmas shapes.
Homemade candied orange slices dipped in choc.
Main thing is to keep separate and airtight- as Greyduster did.