Gransnet forums

Food

Easy peel satsuma/tangerines

(16 Posts)
tanith Thu 11-Jan-18 15:08:12

Just bought my third bag of 'so called' easy peelers and none of them were easy to peel. I've just had one and it's lovely, juicy and sweet but such a faff to peel as the skin comes off in tiny pieces and leaves all the pith in place so annoying.

Has anyone found some that are and where did you get them? We like the small sweet fruits don't mind if they are tangerines, satsuma,or clementines as long as they are sweet and easy peel.

I know in the scheme of things it's a minor irritation but I'm trying to get OH to eat more fruit and he gives up easily ?

Bathsheba Thu 11-Jan-18 15:23:13

I have some at the moment that I bought in Tesco - I no longer have the net they were in so can't be sure, but I think they're clementines. They're very sweet and juicy and extremely easy to peel. Trouble is, though, that when I go back for more it's quite likely that there'll be different ones for sale. You can never be sure to get the same produce week after week, as it all rather depends on what Tesco chooses to deliver to the store at any given time.

Greyduster Thu 11-Jan-18 15:40:43

Last time I bought them - Christmas - they were from our local market and were easy to peel and very sweet, but the supermarket ones have been good too (Morrison’s in our case). We are currently eating a lot of large navel oranges which are always good at this time of year. Peelability? Iffy!

eazybee Thu 11-Jan-18 16:01:04

I have just discovered these, I believe they are produced specially for children to take to school and peel themselves. You wouldn't believe how many children are incapable of opening an orange or banana for themselves.

NotTooOld Thu 11-Jan-18 16:27:12

Morrison's clementines, the ones that come in a small wooden crate and with their leaves still on, peel easily and are very good.

JackyB Thu 11-Jan-18 16:34:39

Surely you can feel them when you buy - you should be able to tell if the peel is loose or firmly attached to the flesh of the fruit. I always try to make sure that I get seedless ones. If you eat the ones with pips in you end up with a mouthful of them.

tanith Thu 11-Jan-18 16:38:16

JackyB we do buy the ones that feel 'right' if we see them but lately haven't seen any hence we're trying the ones with the label 'easy peel' that aren't.

citygranny Thu 11-Jan-18 16:45:32

I roll them about in my hand for a few minutes ....that usually does the trick.

Fennel Thu 11-Jan-18 16:58:04

There are mandarin oranges too. They've been available here for months, probably because we're so near Spain.
We have one for dessert every day, sometimes a bit dry though.

Fennel Thu 11-Jan-18 17:00:50

ps probably the same thing as clementines etc:
"This group, botanically classified as Citrus reticulata, includes such varieties as Satsuma, Clementine, Dancy, Honey, Pixie, and tangerines in general."

Jane10 Thu 11-Jan-18 17:15:39

I'm sick of this 'seedless easy peeler' nonsense. I want to know what it's an 'easy peeled' version of. I love tangerines and clementines but am not so keen on satsumas. You don't get 'easy cooked' as a sole name for any other stuff eg just 'easy fried' for meat any old meat! Sorry. I've got a bee in my bonnet about this.

Bathsheba Thu 11-Jan-18 21:35:32

My DH bought some more at Tesco this evening. They are Jaffa Easy Peelers, absolutely beautiful Clementines, full of flavour and easy to peel.

Jane10 Thu 11-Jan-18 21:41:38

So why don't they call them easy peel clementines? Then we'd know what they actually are!

Bathsheba Thu 11-Jan-18 21:56:11

True Jane10 - they do actually say that in the small black print, but you need your glasses on!!

tanith Thu 11-Jan-18 22:09:24

I'll take a look for those at Mr. Ts tomorrow Bathsheba thanks.

Beau Thu 11-Jan-18 22:49:08

I'm another like Jane10 who hates the term 'easy peelers' although in my case it's because I only like satsumas, I find clementines and tangerines too sickly sweet. But really, talk about dumbing down, it really puts me off seeing such a ridiculous label on small citrus fruits.