Gransnet forums

Food

Tins of Man Food (lighthearted)

(16 Posts)
Witzend Fri 12-Jan-18 17:02:26

My Dh eats virtually the same (reasonably healthy) things for breakfast and lunch every day. He gets them himself. The only meal that's different is dinner, cooked by me (he clears up the kitchen).
I find it so weird that he'll happily eat the same things day in, day out, a bit like a dog scoffing the same food every day.

I swear that if there were tins of Man Food - preferably in Shepherd's Pie and Cauliflower Cheese flavours - he'd happily eat those every day, too.
Anyone else's Dh the same?
NB this is not a moan - he's completely unfussy and will eat just about anything.

gillybob Fri 12-Jan-18 17:06:41

I wish Witzend I am married to a man who when questioned “what would you like for dinner”? replies “anything” I then make suggestion after suggestion all met with a screwed up face.... until finally he hears something he fancies. So bloody annoying.

ninathenana Fri 12-Jan-18 17:20:58

H is very easy going. He will eat anything I put in front of him for dinner. Breakfast he sorts himself, lunch is a sandwich or roll.
For the past six months or so we (DH, DS and I) have made a menu plan each Friday which consists of about 10 meals of choice, with occasionally something different thrown in. Makes shopping cheaper and cooking easier.

M0nica Fri 12-Jan-18 17:30:01

I have always planned meals a week in advance, even though some have to be re-arranged at short notice.

DH and I have always liked trying new foods, new recipes, new flavours. If either of us doesn't enjoy a new dish then the recipe gets chucked . If we both enjoy it, it gets added to my recipe list. Meal planning is easy because I am only ever choosing from recipes we know we both like.

On his own he varies in what he cooks or prepares for himself, tending to see what is available in-house and supplementing it from the local Co-op. Although going for a curry is an easy option if I am away.

Tegan2 Fri 12-Jan-18 17:57:50

I'll eat the same food for days on end till I get fed up and then move on to something else. I cooked a recipe that I used to use many years ago the other day only to remember my ex [note the word 'ex']; when I gave it to him, pushing the plate away saying 'I can't eat THIS'. This is from a man who, the other year lived on tins of Irish stew for months because it was easy to cook.

MawBroon Fri 12-Jan-18 18:26:52

I used to leave tempting (I thought) single portions of things for Paw when he had to fend for himself.
He invariably either opted for a big bowl of spaghetti or a “fry up”
Sigh.

Greyduster Fri 12-Jan-18 18:50:26

I have stopped asking what he would like to eat, and I am yet to find a recipe for the "anything" that is his stock answer. I put it in front of him - he eats it. As long as it is not fish, or chicken casserole! Which happens to be my favourites!

M0nica Fri 12-Jan-18 18:57:24

Yes, I have that problem with macaroni cheese. I love it. DH hates it. However he is out tomorrow, so you know what I will have for lunch!

Menopaws Fri 12-Jan-18 21:45:08

My dh has very interesting tastes and I have to find something different every day which is tedious but I try and what can be a favourite one day is not the next so I am constantly inventing stuff that appeals but he never complains bless him

Grannyknot Fri 12-Jan-18 21:53:02

The OP made me laugh out loud. My husband is pretty much the same as yours.

're fussy eaters - I told my family a long time ago that they eat when I'm hungry and what I fancy (what I cook) - or else. Or else they're on their own! So far I've had no complaints.

Chewbacca Fri 12-Jan-18 21:53:03

My ex wouldn't eat anything with: cooked tomatoes; cooked cheese; any vegetables that weren't green (although he would not eat broccoli); any fish except tinned tuna; anything sweet, including sweet and sour; any offal, any eggs no matter how they were cooked and no lamb of any kind. Other than that, he said he'd eat anything. Thank heavens I don't have that to contend with anymore.

Niobe Fri 12-Jan-18 21:54:21

My dad had a grocery shop and one of the best selling items was a tin of Irish Stew, beef and veg in one tin. Often bought with a tin of potatoes.

Grannyknot Fri 12-Jan-18 22:07:35

I worked as a P.A. for a very highly paid Chief Executive in an building where we had a fabulous canteen, and every day he ate a tin of Heinz tomato soup for lunch followed by a tin of rice pudding grin

NanaandGrampy Fri 12-Jan-18 22:46:06

Grampy can cook perfectly well with a wide range of dishes.

Left to his own devices he'd eat shepherds pie everyday for every meal !!

Primrose65 Sat 13-Jan-18 00:06:39

I think you're looking for this!

Deedaa Sat 13-Jan-18 20:49:41

gillybob I read your post to DH and he just sat and nodded!