Gransnet forums

Food

Marmalade from frozen oranges

(10 Posts)
Craftycat Fri 19-Jan-18 11:31:14

Last year at this time I bought my marmalade oranges & as I had very little spare time I froze them intending to make it at a later date.
Needless to say they are still in freezer. I remember many years ago seeing a recipe for making it without defrosting oranges first but cannot find it now.
Has anyone ever done this??

MawBroon Fri 19-Jan-18 11:33:51

Yes, my MIL often did it in the days when the Sevill Orange season seemed even shorter.
However, as to a recipe....... sorry!

Suki70 Fri 19-Jan-18 12:08:56

Sorry, no recipe. DH freezes Seville oranges for use throughout the year but always defrosts them before making the marmalade.

Elegran Fri 19-Jan-18 12:28:59

When I made marmalade I used to freeze the oranges first.

When I had time for marmalade, I took them out, partly defrosted them until they I could slice them but they were still very cold and not shedding juice everywhere. I sliced them whole roughly and removed the pips and kept them back, then pressure cooked the oranges with half a pint of water for 5 mins at 5 lb pressure.

Cooled and depressured them, then whizzed the pulp briefly in the food processor and put them in the preserving pan with the rest of the water (which I swished round the food processor first to catch the last of the flavour), the pips in a muslin bag, and the appropriate amount of sugar.

The amount of processor whizzing influences how chunky the finished jam is.

Elegran Fri 19-Jan-18 12:29:55

The freezing softens the skins and shortens the cooking time.

Craftycat Thu 25-Jan-18 18:19:23

Many thanks. I'll try Elegran's method.

Cherrytree59 Thu 25-Jan-18 19:26:53

I think Janet keiller of Dundee would approve of GN and of the frozen orange method

Janet created Orange marmalade and was the several times great granny of
Monty Don
smile

Crafting Thu 25-Jan-18 20:50:47

I think I must be overtired. I just read the title of this thread as "marmalade from frozen sausages". I was seriously thinking that doesn't sound healthy to me.? I think I need an early night grin

Auntieflo Fri 26-Jan-18 09:08:56

Not much use to you now, but years ago, the market fruit and veg man, persuaded me that I needed the last of his Seville oranges. I used some straight away and froze the rest, to be used as and when. All the marmalade turned out fine, but I don't remember defrosting them. These days I use tins of MAMADE , always with very good results. Any one else cheat?

Synonymous Fri 26-Jan-18 18:08:52

Oh yes Auntieflo always use Mamade if we have no sevilles in the freezer! We just don't use the amount of sugar they tell you to use as it is far too sweet.

We cook the frozen oranges whole, cool, cut in half and scoop out the pulp and slice the skins as thick or thin as required before using our normal recipe. Much easier to slice cooked orange skins too.

That is interesting Cherrytree and could explain Monty's cooking talents too.