Gransnet forums

Food

Quark

(17 Posts)
hulahoop Sun 04-Feb-18 11:06:11

Hi I'm looking for recipes uses quark any suggestions welcome.

M0nica Sun 04-Feb-18 11:22:21

I use it to replace yogurt or Creme fraiche in recipes. Mixed it with milk to replace single cream and even used it in recipes as an alternative to double cream.

Why do I do all this? Because it reduces the calorie count of the dishes I am cooking and if you are still bothered by such matters, reduces fat consumption.

silverlining48 Sun 04-Feb-18 11:37:16

Very popular in germany. Recommended by slimming world as part of their diet regieme. Maybe check slimming world online for recipes.

Ilovecheese Sun 04-Feb-18 13:06:51

I make chicken liver pate and smoked salmon and prawn pate with quark and philladelphia cheese instead of butter.

giulia Sun 04-Feb-18 13:41:40

Ilovecheese Mmmm! Would love these recipes! Hint!

M0nica Sun 04-Feb-18 13:50:03

I make smoked mackerel pate with it and use it as a replacement for cream cheese in any recipe using it

You probably already have a range of recipes it can be used in as a replacement for the recommended ingredient..

Marydoll Sun 04-Feb-18 14:01:59

I love the sound of the pâté!!!

hulahoop Sun 04-Feb-18 14:26:28

Thanks for suggestions will check out s/w recipes never thought to use it as cream great idea!!

Ilovecheese Sun 04-Feb-18 14:39:26

Chicken liver pate:
250grm chicken livers
About half an onion, chopped
About 30grm philly
About 50grm quark
Butter Buds (optional)

Fry the chicken livers with a spray of oil and a few bay leaves.
I then add tinned ready cooked onions, if you don't have those chop and soften the onion before frying the chicken livers.
Remove the bay leaves and put the livers and chopped onion into a blender.
I have another really useful ingredient called "Butter Buds" from Lakeland. They are little sachets of a powder which gives the taste of butter without the calories.
I mix three or four of those with some warm water and add to the blender with a little salt.
Then add the philly and quark.
Blend together, adding more quark if the mixture is too stiff or more philly if it is too lose.

Smoked salmon and prawn pate:
100grm smoked salmon
100grm prawns
30grm philly
50grm quark
Butter Buds (optional)

Blend all the ingredients together with the juice of a lemon. Add more philly if too stiff or more quark if too loose.

Marydoll Sun 04-Feb-18 14:41:20

*Ilovecheese, thanks! [Smile]

Marydoll Sun 04-Feb-18 14:41:46

OOPs, should have previewed.

Norah Sun 04-Feb-18 14:46:06

I think Germans use quark to make dessert of a semi sweet cheese tarte with fruit? Less calories, fat, sugar, to be healthier? Their desserts are not rich or sweet enough, to me.

giulia Sun 04-Feb-18 22:19:00

hoolahoop So what is quark? I had thought it was a generic name for philly (Kraft) but, looking at Ilovecheese's recipes, they are two different products. Am confused.

Tegan2 Sun 04-Feb-18 23:30:42

What are butter buds?

Tegan2 Sun 04-Feb-18 23:31:31

...I'm going to go to sleep dreaming of that salmon pate [drool]...

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Feb-18 23:33:36

I must try it again.

When I bought it a few months ago I had one taste then put the rest into the food recycling bin.

M0nica Mon 05-Feb-18 12:07:06

Quark is not, and never has been Philly. It is a low fat soft chese that comes originally from Norway. It has a slightly acidic taste and I use it mainly as a spread on crispbread with sliced cucumber and also in cooking as a low calorie replacement for cream/yoghurt (which I loathe)/creme fraiche

I much prefer the original Norwegian branded quark to the supermarket own brands, which are far too sloppy.

I used to get a brand called Golden Pastures (or something like that) at Waitrose, very spreadable. Then they produced their own brand sloppy product that doesn't spread well at all and discontinued the branded product. After a few months they reintroduced another branded product, Lindval,(or similar) but that hasn't been in stock for some weeks and there is no space for it so I assume it has been discontinued sad