Gransnet forums

Food

Beeswax wraps

(9 Posts)
Katek Fri 23-Feb-18 09:37:39

My dil has just started to use these as she is trying to eliminate plastics from her kitchen. I wondered if any GNetterx had experience of them as they seem very expensive to buy. I wondered about their longevity and effectiveness. How do you keep them clean as well?

grannyqueenie Fri 23-Feb-18 09:50:24

Thanks for starting this thread Kate, I’d be interested to know too as I’ve been thinking of getting some to cut down on my cling film use. But I worry that they will start to smell stale after a while, does anyone know if that’s the case?

Oopsadaisy12 Fri 23-Feb-18 09:53:29

What about greasproof paper? Does this behave in the same way as beeswax wraps?

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 23-Feb-18 10:03:03

I've just bought the beeswax and have some cotton bits to make them with. Apparently you just wipe clean with a sponge and a little dish soap. And if it starts cracking you can just top up the beeswax coating. Oopsadaisy, I think the beeswax wraps are more malleable. They mould to the shape of the container you're putting them on and 'stick' more than greaseproof paper.

Oopsadaisy12 Fri 23-Feb-18 12:08:55

Thanks Lara, TBH until I read this thread I’d never heard of Beeswax wraps.
I really must get out more.

Katek Fri 23-Feb-18 12:11:15

How long does the beeswax coating last does anyone know? Do you renew the coating or have to buy more wraps??

Oopsadaisy12 Fri 23-Feb-18 12:16:11

Crikey, they are expensive, although you can make your own.
TBH I’ll carry on using my old Tupperware containers until they give up the ghost.
Heaven knows how I’ll dispose of them though. But that’s on another Gransnet thread!

jusnoneed Fri 23-Feb-18 13:24:46

First time I'd heard of these too. Just looked on Amazon and they say they last about a year if you use them a couple times a week. You can wash them and hang up to dry.
Then you throw them out, biodegradable.

Kittye Fri 23-Feb-18 14:29:07

My son uses these. He got his from BeeBee Wraps and is impressed with them. I keep meaning to look at website and order some myself.