Gransnet forums

Food

Soda Bread recipe please.

(11 Posts)
1974cookie Sat 03-Mar-18 18:50:40

Can anyone give me a simple recipe please.
It sounds perfect, especially since this horrendous weather when a loaf of ordinary bread is not always easy to find.

ginny Sun 04-Mar-18 08:00:48

Sorry , no recipe but I always keep a couple of bags of bread mix . They are very good and easy to use.

Blinko Sun 04-Mar-18 08:19:16

Is there anything in the GN recipes section? It's usually pretty good.

nannychris1 Sun 04-Mar-18 09:06:09

Good morning, here is my recipe for soda bread, apologies for lack of conventional measurements:
About 4 cups of Plain Flour sieved into a bowl, add
1 cup of Bran or Oatmeal or whole meal (optional)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Half tsp salt
Approximately 500ml of Natural Yogurt or Buttermilk (buttermilk can be made by adding about tspoon of lemon juice to regular milk)
Mix to a dough like consistency, give it a very light knead and place in a tin or baking sheet, flatten a little by pressing gently on the top. Slice a cross on the top! Pop into a preheated over. 180deg for about 35-45 mins. Tap the bottom to check if it s fully Baked, it should sound hollow!
Good luck...... I’m off to the kitchen now to make one.

Auntieflo Sun 04-Mar-18 09:13:48

This is from the BBC good food recipes, and you can make buttermilk by adding lemon juice to milk, (not sure of the quantities) , but you could Google it.

Ingredients

170g/6oz self-raising wholemeal flour
170g/6oz plain flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
290ml/½ pint buttermilk

Method
Preheat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas 6.
Tip the flours, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl and stir.
Make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk, mixing quickly with a large fork to form a soft dough. (Depending upon the absorbency of the flour, you may need to add a little milk if the dough seems too stiff but it should not be too wet or sticky.)
Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly.
Form into a round and flatten the dough slightly before placing on a lightly floured baking sheet.
Cut a cross on the top and bake for about 30 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.

Stansgran Sun 04-Mar-18 10:40:28

Felicity Cloake in the Guardian does one of her to make a perfect soda bread but I love this one( I've got two tins of treacle by mistake)
ulsterherald.com/2015/06/26/the-ultimate-treacle-scone/
It's a lovely read anyway in this cold weather

goldengirl Sun 04-Mar-18 11:51:49

I get urges to make bread every so often but haven't tried soda bread - this looks good; as does the treacle scone!

Craicon Sun 04-Mar-18 12:40:11

I make soda bread quite a lot. This is the recipe I use.
DONT USE BREAD FLOUR!

Ingredients

225g plain flour
225g malted brown flour (or just use all plain flour)
Sprinkle of mixed seeds
1 heaped teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon salt
400 mls buttermilk

Method

Preheat oven to 220 degrees

1. Mixed dry ingredients together in a bowl
2. Make a well in the centre and add the buttermilk
3. Make your hand into a claw and mix it together but don't knead it or you’ll overwork it.
4. Turn onto a floured baking tray and shape into a circle or put in a 1lb loaf tin.
5. Cut a deep cross in the centre of the bread to let the fairies out.
6. Bake for 15 minutes at 220 degrees then reduce temperature to 180 degrees for 30 minutes. Tap on base to check it's cooked.

You can also sprinkle some porridge oats on top and loosely press down using hand before baking for added decoration.

Makes 1 x 1lb loaf

hildajenniJ Sun 04-Mar-18 15:05:01

Here's an all white soda bread recipe, if you'd rather
www.bordbia.ie/consumer/recipes/desserts/pages/traditionalwhitesodabread.aspx

KatyK Sun 04-Mar-18 18:41:29

When this thread popped up yesterday, I had just been given a recipe for soda bread by my sister. DH is going to make it this week and I will put the recipe on here if it is successful!

1974cookie Sun 04-Mar-18 19:00:30

Thank You so much Gransnetters. I knew that you would be the ones to ask. I look forward to making one in the near future smile.