Gransnet forums

Food

Vegan cake recipe suggestions please...

(16 Posts)
JoyBloggs Sun 11-Mar-18 17:47:55

We're having a family get-together soon and I've promised to take a cake. It needs to serve 12 and it must be vegan. It can't be chocolate as someone else is doing that and it can't be complicated as cooking/baking is not 'my thing'! I attempted a vegan lemon cake recently but it wasn't very successful.

Can any of you baking experts help me with a tried-and-tested, idiot-proof recipe? Lemon would be my preference - I have googled but haven't been able to come up with anything that appeals.

My eyes tend to glaze over when I look at recipes which say preparation time over 10 30 minutes, or where there are 75 ingredients... Just imagine you're getting your 8 year-old grandchild to make it and I should (probably) be able to cope!

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

pensionpat Sun 11-Mar-18 17:54:19

I only know a chocolate cake. I think it's nasty, but DDiL loves it. Have you googled?

Feelingmyage55 Sun 11-Mar-18 17:54:50

Fruit salad! No baking involved. Sorry possibly not very helpful but been there and didn't bake a cake. Made fruit salads in champagne (pro secco) jelly for grown ups and rainbow jelly for children. Used non gelatine gelatine if you see what I mean. In glasses with those little paper umbrellas. After all there is another cake. Sorry if this answer is off the wall. But was well received and looked glam.

Gerispringer Sun 11-Mar-18 18:19:57

Go on the Veganuary website. Lots of recipe ideas there. I made a really nice vegan Bakewell tart from there.

Gerispringer Sun 11-Mar-18 18:23:04

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/vegan-cake

Or try bbc good food

Fennel Sun 11-Mar-18 18:33:54

I can't see the problem.
All the cakes and pastries I make are vegan. No animal products at all.
I don't use butter, only veg. oil or veg. margarine.
No milk, only water or orange juice.

Fennel Mon 12-Mar-18 17:17:04

I have to apologise about my last post - I forgot about the eggs , not so easy to replace.

JoyBloggs Mon 12-Mar-18 21:24:28

Many thanks to all who responded to my plea for help.
Gerispringer There are several interesting cakes on the
Veganuary website and I will go for one of them, so thank you very much for that.
Feelingmyage55 I like the sound of your fruit salad and may offer that as well as the cake, thank you.
Fennel I was going to ask you what you used instead of eggs! I usually use Vitalite or Pure instead of butter, and Oatly instead of cows' milk for vegan/dairy-free dishes but cakes are a bit challenging because of the eggs!

AliceDuke Thu 26-Apr-18 00:45:47

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Situpstraight Thu 26-Apr-18 09:52:25

Lots of Vegan recipes on Pinterest

polyester57 Thu 26-Apr-18 10:17:01

Son has been vegan for over ten years now. I have learned to cook and bake vegan. It is a challenge but a nice one. My latest favourite is a carrot cake, which the whole family love. It incorporates beetroot. Yes, beetroot. I don´t have the exact measurements, but google "vegan beetroot carrot cake" and you are practically there Apart from making it, that is.

polyester57 Thu 26-Apr-18 10:26:15

You absolutely do not need eggs. This was one of my main worries at the beginning. How do you substitute eggs? Now I make a lovely quick cake using the syrup from a can of fruit. The fruit goes in as well. Don´t be afraid of experimenting. I also make pancakes, using flour, soy milk and a jar of apple puree. Got it off "youtube".

shysal Thu 26-Apr-18 17:42:57

A friend bakes this cake. The polenta is sold as fine cornmeal, often to be found on the 'world foods' shelves in Asda.
easybitesonline.com/vegan-orange-cranberry-and-almond-polenta-cake/

rohinikamble Wed 20-Jun-18 11:23:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MawBroon Wed 20-Jun-18 11:25:52

Sceptical, moi?
Reported.

Cold Wed 20-Jun-18 12:13:38

How about a large fridge cake or chocolate cornflake cake that you cut into slices - use vegan margarine and carob or vegan chocolate.