Gransnet forums

Food

Shrinking Tins

(6 Posts)
Scribbles Wed 28-Mar-18 17:18:02

I haven't experienced the shrinkage from 400g to 300g but have recently noticed various canned goods which used to come in 420g sizes are now only 410g or 400g - pilchards in tomato sauce, mixed beans, soup, to mention a few.

shandi6570 Wed 28-Mar-18 17:17:39

And yes, in answer to your question mrsmopp, I'm sure we are being diddled, all the way to their profits.

shandi6570 Wed 28-Mar-18 17:16:27

Yes, I imagine people eat more of the chocolate bars because the current sizes do not satisfy, so a second one is eaten, which is probably too much but who throws away a half/quarter bar of chocolate, or indeed saves it? Not me, although on second thoughts that could be my partner who is the most sensible eater of goodies that I have ever encountered.grin

Nonnie Wed 28-Mar-18 14:01:38

The same with chocolate bars but it doesn't have any effect upon obesity. Presumably people just eat more of them.

annsixty Wed 28-Mar-18 13:14:21

I have drunk Actimel each morning for years but noticed recently the little pots are only just over half full.
An increase in price by stealth.

mrsmopp Wed 28-Mar-18 13:10:33

I keep a stock of tins, cannelini, chick peas, haricot beans, butter beans, etc. Useful for winter soups and stews. They always came in standard 400g size tins. Not any more. They have shrunk to 300g so we have lost a quarter of the contents. The price hasn't dropped by 25% though.
Are we being diddled? I haven't seen anyone protesting, which surprises me. 300g is too small anyway ?