Gransnet forums

Food

What is that Pudding?

(56 Posts)
Alexa Sun 01-Apr-18 22:55:13

What is that pudding with whipped egg white and some sort of cereal milk pudding base, also has red berries mixed in. It's very light in texture. How is it made?

Jalima1108 Thu 05-Apr-18 19:13:46

That sounds easy and very nice - I like anything lemony

Alexa Thu 05-Apr-18 19:00:42

What I did today with the lemon juice was simply whizz it with creme fraiche and two teasps sugar per lemon .I have a handheld whizzer that is new and not perished. It was absolutely delicious.

Gmelon. I remember that ad. It was a manicurist and her customer wasn't it?

gmelon Thu 05-Apr-18 12:35:57

Elbows in lemon halves, that's a blast from the past. Does anyone recall the "soak your nails in fairy liquid" advert on television?
Or did I dream it up?

Elegran Thu 05-Apr-18 12:26:30

Add lemon juice to cream to turn it into sour cream for scones. Keep the de-juiced lemon skin halves and, while eating the scones with lashings of butter and jam and whatever cream you kept back from souring, sit with your elbows resting in the halves to whiten your elbow skin.

Alexa Thu 05-Apr-18 11:27:24

Thanks Jalima. I will try again.

That first attempt went in the bin together with the whizzing machine which over the years of disuse seemed to have developed a perished gasket so it sprayed the neighbouring toaster and the wall with dark grey liquid.

But I am not beaten.

Jalima1108 Thu 05-Apr-18 10:44:38

Lemon meringue pie
Lemon cheesecake

More puddings!

Alexa Wed 04-Apr-18 13:54:19

PS I was surprised that the unwaxed lemons which I bought yesterday were not any more expensive than the waxed ones.

Unless any grans know what use to make of the lemons with their zest removed as I dislike waste I'll try to invent some sort of lemon drink with the juice but all juicy experiences gratefully received.

Alexa Wed 04-Apr-18 13:49:21

Gran5up, I'm making it today. I'll add lemon zest to the base too, and cut down on the sugar with a view to grans here saying it's too sweet.

Jalima I may have cracked the crumb problem I broke up sliced bread and put it in a tin dish to get hard then I put the rusks into my whizzer with the milk , yolks, butter, sugar, zest, and vanilla. It's not real vanilla pods but was expensive liquid so I guess it will be okay.

Jang, when you suggested making it with semolina, I think that is what I ate long ago. I think the school cook made it. What consistency of cooked semolina is right for the recipe, do you know?

Jalima1108 Wed 04-Apr-18 11:30:52

mmm Cherry Clafoutis, I could eat some now!

I think it is a bit different to Queen of Puddings though - and probably not as sweet.

soldiersailor Tue 03-Apr-18 13:36:20

It sounds very like the French dish Clafoutis to me. And as I live in France I am pleased to say I eat it fairly often!

Jangran99 Tue 03-Apr-18 09:37:41

Butterscotch tart? Recipe for that please, I love butterscotchsmile

MaggieMay69 Mon 02-Apr-18 23:56:23

My old mum called it a Monmouth Pudding, if its the same? Utterly lovely! x

Feelingmyage55 Mon 02-Apr-18 23:19:19

Must make it tomorrow - yum!

wot Mon 02-Apr-18 23:12:22

We made Queen of Pudding at school. Gorgeous!

Chinesecrested Mon 02-Apr-18 22:57:00

Definitely Queen of Puddings. We used to have it in school. Second only to butterscotch tart!

Jalima1108 Mon 02-Apr-18 20:36:29

Yes - DM used to put lemon zest in the base. It did add a nice tang.

cc Mon 02-Apr-18 18:35:39

You can also grate fine lemon zest in (or infuse milk with lemon zest then sieve before use) and use lemon curd or lemon marmalade. Orange zest is good with orange marmalade too. Neither are quite as sweet as jam, though I must admit that seedless raspberry is my favourite.

Greengage Mon 02-Apr-18 17:58:37

This post has reminded me of a pudding my mum made. She called it Cheltenham Pudding but I have never heard of it anywhere else. - Raspberry jam at the bottom on which you stick macaroons (or ratafias). Cover it with a rich egg custard so the macaroons soak. Then after it has rested for a while and the macaroons are well soaked, let them float to the top and then bake the whole thing in the oven at a temp suitable for egg custard. Surprisingly delicious!

Tish Mon 02-Apr-18 17:48:29

Queen of puddings....?

Jang Mon 02-Apr-18 15:54:29

Could be queen of puddings.. my Mum always made it with a enriched semolina base ( using egg yolks), jam (or fruit if she had any spare) and then meringue topping.. more delicious than the normal breadcrumb one to my mind!smile

HillyN Mon 02-Apr-18 15:41:50

I remember making Queen of Puddings as part of my Girl Guides Cookery badge. I loved it! Haven't eaten it for ages so may be I need to make it again.

Jalima1108 Mon 02-Apr-18 14:51:22

No-one is offering you any Camelotclub, don't worry.

It is very nice if rather too sweet for some tastes.
And probably brings back happy memories of Mum's cooking.

Camelotclub Mon 02-Apr-18 14:43:45

No idea what the pud is but quite frankly it sounds horrible!

GabriellaG Mon 02-Apr-18 14:03:14

annesixty has it spot on. Queen of puddings.

justrolljanet Mon 02-Apr-18 13:36:20

Floating islands ?