Gransnet forums

Food

Remouska cookers. Are they as good as they sound?

(22 Posts)
1974cookie Mon 30-Apr-18 18:04:11

I have seen these at the Lakelands shop. By all accounts they are the all singing and all dancing cookers.
Do any Gransnetters have one, and are they worth the hype.
I was thinking about buying one.

hildajenniJ Mon 30-Apr-18 18:13:11

Luckygirl has one. Look at her thread about Easy roast dinner. If she sees this she'll be able to advise you.

MawBroon Mon 30-Apr-18 18:13:17

If you put “Remoska” in the Search box at the top of the page, there at least 4 threads about Remoska cookers.
Hope you find something useful there!

Squiffy Mon 30-Apr-18 18:17:54

As Maw says, there have been a few threads discussing the pros and cons. The thing that put me off was that the temperature is set and can’t be changed. I opted for a halogen oven instead - often on offer for about £35!

Luckygirl Mon 30-Apr-18 18:35:03

I have had halogen and Remoska and there is simply no comparison. My Remoska is in use at least once every day and is brilliant if there are just two of you - you are not wasting electricity.

cornergran Mon 30-Apr-18 21:13:46

We had ours for our caravan, when the caravan was sold it came home and is in regular use in the kitchen. I can only say we find it very useful and also economical.

OldMeg Mon 30-Apr-18 21:15:09

I use my Ramoska a lot. It’s much cheaper than putting the oven on.

Luckygirl Mon 30-Apr-18 21:41:03

And you can take it to the table; and put the "oven" in the dishwasher.

oldgoat Mon 30-Apr-18 23:21:31

We use our Remoska in the campervan which only has gas rings and no oven. It's really versatile : we've used it for roasting meat, baking potatoes, warming ready meals and even cake baking. It doesn't seem to matter that it hasn't got a variable heat control.

Jalima1108 Mon 30-Apr-18 23:31:36

I've had another look at your roast dinner thread Luckygirl as I didn't remember any discussion about Remoska ovens.

I realise now that I just assumed they were a type of potato blush

peaches50 Tue 01-May-18 10:19:33

I love mine - and promptly bought a larger version (both on ebay both working fantastically well). Everything you read is true and not hype - chicken that is butter soft, chuck ribs in and they are so tender the meat falls off the bone etc etc etc.
I'm really forgetful so often wander off but haven't had any disasters yet - use it at least once a week - and I was a professional chef! Buy it and enjoy.

tigger Tue 01-May-18 10:34:25

I have one, great for camping. When the cooker broke down I managed to cook a whole roastie in it. It makes fabulous yorkshire puddings, I guess because there are no breaks in the temperature. Expensive though.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 01-May-18 11:30:50

My Aga, microwave and deep filled toasted sandwich maker. Never interested in anything else and got rid of a Halogen after using it once.

Shelagh6 Tue 01-May-18 12:44:35

I had one - Ok ish, but. Slow cooker is more washable. I never did make a cake in it.

OldMeg Tue 01-May-18 13:44:02

But it’s not a slow cooker ??? in fact it cooks quite quickly and acts like a mini oven

OldMeg Tue 01-May-18 13:44:49

Jalima ???

jamsidedown Tue 01-May-18 14:11:53

I don’t eat meat, would this be of any use to me?

Lupin Tue 01-May-18 14:20:30

I have two - the regular sized one and a larger one for use when family visit. Both of the old design. I get teased because I love them so much and refer to them as Mozzy and Big Mozzy and am always adapting recipes to cook in them. I have even contributed recipes to their website.
I use my regular sized one a great deal and have had it for nearly 10 years. Much, much cheaper than using the oven, and the results are yummy. You can cover things with foil and line the pan with foil or use an inner foil dish to slow cooking times down if necessary.
I may weep if mine ever stops working.

Patticake123 Tue 01-May-18 14:21:21

I bought one for use in our motorhome and was soon converted. I only use my main oven if the family are coming and I need the space. I roast chickens, potatoes, make puddings, absolutely anything that you can cook in an oven. The advantages? Saves a tremendous amount of electricity and the vessel where the cooking takes place is very easy to wash. Also, my first one developed a fault and Lakeland replaced it immediately.

Skweek1 Tue 01-May-18 18:21:44

Have been after one ever since I saw it in Lakeland, but to be honest, no space to keep it in my kitchen and suspect that it would become just another gadget. But one of these days . . .l

juani56 Tue 01-May-18 18:43:29

I love my Remoska, we all have them. I use it every day as does my son, my Mum and anyone who uses them. It's not just another gadget.

stevej4491 Tue 01-May-18 20:48:28

What a coincedence ,only this afternoon I gave my Remoska away.Years ago I had the smaller size and it was brilliant ,got used many times,then the lead started coming away from the handle and bare wires were visible.I wrote to lakeland to ask if they had a servicing dept or could they tell me where to have it repaired,they replied by return of post that they did'nt have a service dept but would replace my Remoska and one was on it'sway and as they did'nt have any small ones in stock ,they would replace it with the larger one. As I'm now on it was'nt getting used too much,so I off loaded it to someone who does a lot of functions .Lakeland are a brilliant company to deal with.