Gransnet forums

Food

Steamer cooking

(15 Posts)
jeanie99 Sun 13-May-18 01:26:35

I have an electric steamer, bought it years ago when I had high blood pressure. I'm on a low salt diet and the veg tastes good.
I use mine most day for vegetables and fish.

Bathsheba Sat 12-May-18 21:36:57

*or so.

Bathsheba Sat 12-May-18 21:36:42

I regularly cook salmon fillets in mine, in the bottom tier with vegetables in the two upper tiers. A piece of salmon straight from the freezer is ready in about 25 minutes. I don't wrap it in anything, just straight in the steamer as is. Obviously I don't steam the vegetables as long as that - they go on 10 minutes of so before the salmon is finished.

notanan2 Sat 12-May-18 16:33:47

I do whole meals in it: chicken or fish in foil with seasoning, potato & veg added half way through

Nannarose Sat 12-May-18 16:28:13

I have a steam oven, which i use in lots of ways. One of my favourite 'recipes' that can also be done in a conventional steamer is kedgeree. I set it up to cook:
rice with a few peas & some chilli flakes
eggs
fish
tomatoes
spinach

and combine!

Welshwife Sat 12-May-18 15:08:03

I sometimes do individual steamed sponge puddings in mine too. I reheat anything I need in it- covering a dish or putting in loose foil parcel if it is meat etc - never dries out. I do not often use my ‘normal’ saucepans unless stewing fruit or making sauces.

dionar Sat 12-May-18 14:27:18

I have an electric steamer and I use it to cook vegetables, seafood and sometimes dimsum.

glammanana Tue 08-May-18 10:18:13

Rosie59 I would be lost without my steamer I use it everyday mainly for veg but do fish also the veg is always crisp and never over cooked as it happens in pans,
You can buy a simple 2 x tier one in Tesco's for under £10s they save a lot of money on your fuel bill.

Franbern Tue 08-May-18 10:05:46

Think electric steamers are wonderful. Living by myself, it means that I can have three or four variety of veg with my main meal. I use frozen veg, as that way I know it is fresher than anything I can keep in the 'fridge.
Usually cook veg plus potatoes in one section of 3-tier steamer. Can cook fish as well, but I prefer to that in the halogen oven. Quick healthy meals and little washing up.

SueDonim Sun 06-May-18 23:36:58

Oh, and do keep the liquid at the end, it makes good stock for soups and casseroles!

SueDonim Sun 06-May-18 23:36:10

I don't think you need recipes, as such. It's just an alternative to a saucepan, really.

You stack the layers up - I put the veg needing the most cooking on the lower level and the more delicate veg on the top. Fish can be cooked as well. I've wrapped it baking parchment and popped it on the lower level.

Sometimes I'll cook something in the water itself, too, such as potatoes or carrots then have more veg above.

hildajenniJ Sun 06-May-18 22:25:27

Mine came out every day. I had a three tier electric steamer and cooked vegetables and fish in it. My DD had greater need so I gave it to her, she uses it daily too.

Rosie59 Sun 06-May-18 21:44:21

Thanks Welshwife, thought it would be great for vegetables

Welshwife Sun 06-May-18 21:23:43

I have a very basic steamer which has two containers on top of the water pot and just sits on a ring of the cooker. I cook all the vegetables in it and sometimes heat meat etc in one of the ‘baskets’ as I don’t have a microwave. I used to have an electric steamer but did not find it as good so gave it away.

Rosie59 Sun 06-May-18 21:03:54

Trying to eat healthily & have bought a steamer. Anybody got a favourite recipe?