Gransnet forums

Food

Quinoa

(13 Posts)
Dontaskme Fri 11-May-18 11:46:17

How do you wash it!? The instructions say to rinse well but how do you drain the water - I've just tried and most of the stuff is down the sink.
I'll point out I'm not very "domesticated" so apologise if this is really super dumb/obvious. My MIL was horrified that after 32 year with her DS I still don't own a sieve or a rolling pin - ahhhhh, I've just answered my own question haven't I? Sieve!!! Any ideas in the mean time please as I don't have one? Thanks

jusnoneed Fri 11-May-18 12:51:35

I use a fine sieve, muslin would do but maybe you could drain it through a clean tea towel.

ninathenana Fri 11-May-18 13:00:42

If you don't have a sieve or muslin I would line a colander with a couple of sheets of kitchen paper.
I've never bought or eaten the stuff, didn't know you had to drain it.blush

JackyB Fri 11-May-18 13:01:15

A teatowel or, better still, a muslin cloth. However, the grains will stick to the cloth, so it'll be a bit of a fiddle getting them off again afterwards. Perhaps you could just dip the cloth with the sticky grains into the saucepan of boiling water and shake them off.

Otherwise, quinoa is really easy to cook and use, both hot and cold, and has an interesting taste, so don't let it beat you!

OldMeg Fri 11-May-18 13:37:30

???

Dontaskme Fri 11-May-18 16:20:04

Thank you everyone.
I've failed miserably so have told my DH to call in at Asda on his way home for a sieve. Haven't even got as far a cooking it, I've fallen at rinsing. Tomorrow it will be conquered!
A sieve, how grown up I am smile

M0nica Fri 11-May-18 16:24:56

I've eaten it once and could find nothing special about it at all. So I have never bothered to buy it and cook it myself. You do not have to eat something just because it is the new in thing that all health freaks are eating

Noname Sun 13-May-18 22:51:32

I have only attempted to cook it once; disaster! I think I over cooked it and it rather resembled wallpaper paste!

Nelliemoser Sun 13-May-18 23:02:27

I really don't like the flavour of the quinoa grains. I will just carry on with my salad eating.
I am begining to like salad more than cooked vegetables. I really like my Cos lettuce. it has some real flavour.

Gerispringer Mon 14-May-18 06:21:25

Quinoa is one of those things that doesn’t taste like much but does take on other flavours and is super easy to cook. I like it cold in a salad mixed with spring onions, chopped celery, maybe a bit of hummus, dressing, also hot in a sweet potato curry, instead of rice.

BlueBelle Mon 14-May-18 06:45:18

It comes in packets much easier and much nicer

Teetime Mon 14-May-18 08:52:47

Does it need washing really?

We only have quinoa when it comes in ready made grain salads from marks or included with Tilda brown rice. It does come in ready eat/heat sachets as well. Tasteless stuff anyway.

Nannykay Thu 17-May-18 22:28:00

I must admit I prefer couscous, the whole family will eat that, quinoa was a thumbs down. But I have been asked to cook it for various functions, you must wash it first to remove the bitter taste. Put it in a large bowl and fill with water. Swish it about then strain out as much water was you can, I just use my hand to stop the grain , repeat 2 or 3 times, it doesn’t matter if you don’t get all the water out just as much as you can. Then cook as rice - one part unwashed grain to two parts water, bring to gentle simmer then reduce heat, simmer slowly until all the water is gone, about 10 minuets, cover with a lid and steam for about 5 minuets, fluff with fork, and it’s done, easy really.