Gransnet forums

Food

summer salads

(17 Posts)
Fennel Mon 14-May-18 12:14:21

I think we've had this topic before, but can't find it.
What's your favourite (easy) summer salad?
Mine is sweet corn with red onion and red pepper. Or tomato.
Make a dressing with oil, vinegar, mustard and honey and mix in.
I think the ingredients of the dressing are important - I like walnut oil. And maybe lemon juice instead of vinegar.

Greyduster Mon 14-May-18 12:22:58

Lots and lots and lots of watercress! And maybe some rocket and radishes and red pepper. No dressing. Apart from that, I hate salad like the plague.

hildajenniJ Mon 14-May-18 14:09:51

I love salads of all descriptions, but I can't abide coleslaw. I like a bit of fruitiness in a salad, sliced strawberries, pomegranate seeds (which I've just discovered that I like) or chopped apple and peach.

cavewoman Mon 14-May-18 14:41:20

Rocket,sliced yellow pepper,chopped walnuts and sultanas.
All smothered in a mix of wholegrain mustard,olive oil and fresh lemon.
Oh and a huge helping of homemade coleslaw.
With Morrisons walnut bread.

silverlining48 Mon 14-May-18 16:18:47

I eat a lot of salad but need a few potatoes and some sort of meat, eggs or fish with it. Finish off with a sprinkle of nuts and pomegranates or dried cranberries etc.
If i dont have potatoes i have a piece of bread......green stuff on its own is never enough.

tanith Mon 14-May-18 17:02:52

Love rocket,watercress with those lovely small Picollo toms, chopped celery with a big dollop of fatless cottage cheese with chives and a sprinkle of chopped nuts. I can eat that for lunch every day.

Nannykay Thu 17-May-18 22:12:56

My mum use to make a salad with lettuce ( don’t remember which, I think dad use to grow a selection on the allotment and she used ), I know it had tinned oranges, chopped celery and mustard and cress on the top, but what else was in or what the dressing was, i really don’t remember. It would have been in the 70s. If anyone has any ideas I would love to know

OldMeg Thu 17-May-18 22:34:37

I love making Waldorf Salad, goes with so many things. I can’t eat tomatoes as they make my arthritis flare up, and I love them ???

Gerispringer Fri 18-May-18 04:51:57

The coleslaw you buy in tubs in supermarkets is usually horrible and tastes of synthetic sweetness. I make my own version with shredded white cabbage, grated carrot, chopped radish and celery, grated apple, sunflower seeds and/ or walnuts. Dressing is lemon juice ,olive oil, cider vinegar, plain yoghurt, mayonnaise, salt, pepper mixed up. You can make it with vegan plain yoghurt and mayo for a non dairy version. It’s lovely and crunchy and goes well with jacket potato, bean burgers, just about everything. I make a huge bowl at family bbqs and it’s always popular.

OldMeg Fri 18-May-18 07:10:19

Vegans won’t eat mayonnaise geri.... unless you know an egg-free recipe?

Gerispringer Fri 18-May-18 12:58:52

oldmeg You can buy Veganaise in Sainsbury’s and other supermarkets which is a vegan mayo and very nice it is too. There are quite a few recipes for vegan mayo online tho I haven’t tried them.

OldMeg Fri 18-May-18 14:54:13

The things you learn on GN! ?

NonnaW Fri 18-May-18 15:10:13

I had a lovely salad bowl amongst tapas today at lunch with DH, just rocket, tenderstem broccoli, peas, edamame beans and avocado. I am definitely going to make it at home.

Grannyknot Fri 18-May-18 23:00:55

I love salads with roast butternut or sweet potato in it, I will often use leftovers up in a salad. Teamed with cheese, either haloumi or feta, yummy. Here's one, there are plenty of ideas online:

1 x small butternut squash, sliced and roasted (skin on) with olive oil. Cool before use.
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Salad leaves of your choice
1/2 a red onion, finely sliced
Mixed seeds e.g. pumpkin, sunflower.
Cheese, either halloumi or feta.
For the dressing:
1 tbsp of natural yogurt
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

dionar Wed 30-May-18 15:20:33

I love to mix corn, tomatoes, blackberries, toasted almonds and baby spinach with a lemon dill dressing.

Belgravian Wed 30-May-18 15:30:54

Grilled haloumi with sliced chilli to taste. Salad leaves of your choice (I like frisée and radicchio), dressing of your choice and warm buttered bread.

Coleslaw of your choice.

Fennel Wed 30-May-18 17:01:51

Oooh - I'd forgotten about this thread - thanks for all the ideas.
I'd never heard of haloumi - had to look it up.
Sliced chilli sounds a bit risque, Belgravia hmm.