Gransnet forums

Food

Snack time ( an attack of the munchies )????

(23 Posts)
lemongrove Tue 15-May-18 21:51:52

Around this time of the evening I often fancy a little snack,
Usually some buttered hot toast and a cup of tea or a bowl of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes (yum) as I find that a little something helps me sleep better.
What do others have?

hildajenniJ Tue 15-May-18 22:11:13

Usually plain bread and butter or a buttery type spread. A glass of water or, apple juice.

tanith Tue 15-May-18 22:14:41

I want something sweet and fatty in the evenings chocolate digestives will hit the spot ?. I can usually settle fo 2 Rich Tea but sometimes it’s not enough.

ninathenana Wed 16-May-18 08:23:12

Toast, cereal, or crumpets. If I'm really peckish I'll have cheese on the toast or crumpets.
If I'm not very hungry then a couple of lightly spread cream crackers.
I have to nibble something when I take my meds, which are always washed down with a small glass of semi-skimmed

littleflo Wed 16-May-18 08:32:07

Two rich rea biscuits with Nutella between them

lemongrove Wed 16-May-18 08:59:34

Glad it’s not just me getting peckish late evening, but I think there are health benefits to having a small snack regards sleeping anyway.....so bring on that pack of chocolate digestives! ?

lemongrove Wed 16-May-18 09:02:39

Another time for a little something ( as Pooh Bear used to say) is mid afternoon.?brew cupcake

Teetime Wed 16-May-18 09:18:14

Nothing after dinner usually only sometimes a small piece of cheese. I got myself out of the after dinner nuts/crisp/chocolate thing some years ago.

lemongrove Wed 16-May-18 09:22:02

I suppose it depends on the time people eat dinner really ( and how much) because we tend to eat early-ish and never a heavy meal( those days are gone) sadly.grin

shysal Wed 16-May-18 09:32:15

I try to confine my day's eating to an 8 hour window, but have been finding the evenings difficult. When I succumb to the cravings it is usually cereal, toast or cheese and biscuits, which are all high in calories unfortunately.

Oldwoman70 Wed 16-May-18 09:37:50

I usually get an attack of the munchies whilst watching TV. I have accepted the fact it will hit so "allow" myself a packet a crips (my big weakness) which I eat when taking my evening meds. If I know I can have that bag of crisps I find it easier to avoid snacking earlier in the evening.

henetha Wed 16-May-18 11:10:40

Anything with peanut butter. I have terrible attacks of the munchies in the evenings.

Scribbles Wed 16-May-18 11:26:58

Spar's triple chocolate cookies or some shortbread - yum! I am trying to wean myself off late evening high-carb snacking because a GP told me there's evidence that late night carbohydrates can increase your likelihood of getting Type 2 diabetes. Yikes! I'm doomed ....

humptydumpty Wed 16-May-18 12:04:21

A slice of cheese in bed while reading - I read that you can eat cheese to help keep your teeth clean during the day, so figure I don't have to get out of bed to brush them again!

lemongrove Wed 16-May-18 13:42:15

Won’t it give you bad dreams Humpty ?
There is carb eating and carb eating, it all depends on amount.Moderation in all things for a healthy life Scribbles now, must rush off to Spar to try those biccies.

humptydumpty Wed 16-May-18 14:04:33

Oddly enough, no!

kittylester Wed 16-May-18 18:01:47

We usually eat about 6.30/7.00 ish and I usually have a few chunks out of a bag of bite sized Cadbury's thingies - for pudding!!!!

lemongrove Wed 16-May-18 18:07:05

I haven’t come across those Kitty but if we don’t have any pudding ( only a cooked pud on Sunday) then a few squares of choc are really nice with coffee after dinner.As is a chopped up banana.??

Greenfinch Wed 16-May-18 18:25:22

I have a {big} handful of cashew nuts in the evening and the morning and the afternoon ! I try not to buy them more than once a week or they would be gone.

lemongrove Wed 16-May-18 18:30:42

That’s a whole lotta nuts Greenfinch grin

Doodle Wed 16-May-18 19:45:43

Poteen?grin

lemongrove Wed 16-May-18 21:59:12

grin yes, please, since you’re offering, and some buttered and marmited toast on the side.

Doodle Thu 17-May-18 19:40:32

Ah a girl after my own heart. Toast, marmite and poteen. Bliss ?