Gransnet forums

Food

Air fryer

(11 Posts)
Lindill49 Fri 01-Jun-18 17:50:15

Daughter treated me on mother’s day and it’s the best new tool in my kitchen. Haven’t experimented too much but home made southern fried chicken came out so succulent and chips/wedges etc are to die for in just 10 minutes. Anybody tried anything else they can recommend?

sparkly1000 Fri 01-Jun-18 19:06:36

Bought a Tower fryer last month so a reputable model, followed the instructions to a tee. Chips still not crisping up even after 15/20 minutes. Any suggestions?

Lindill49 Sat 02-Jun-18 13:34:42

Setting on 180deg? Type of potatoes? Frozen chips are brill in 8-10 mins.

dionar Wed 20-Jun-18 14:39:42

Baked garlic parsley potatoes and onion rings are easy to prepare and delicious.

blusmart Wed 25-Jul-18 03:46:01

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

blusmart Wed 25-Jul-18 03:46:30

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

JackyB Wed 25-Jul-18 06:05:41

A girl at work brought one in once and we all had chips for lunch. But it only did small portions at a time and with those long cooking times, the lunch break was over before we had all had our chips, and we couldn't sit down together.

Can you get different sizes, so that you can do enough chips for a family of four without having to wait 10 minutes till the next batch is done?

BlueBelle Wed 25-Jul-18 07:25:41

How dies air cook chips to a crispy consistency ? I have never had one (look at the prices) so know nothing about them but just find it interesting that air can cook things to a crispy consistency I normally par boil my chipped potatoes then shove them in the oven with a 1% spray thingy which works well but obviously takes longer

jusnoneed Wed 25-Jul-18 09:22:15

You coat them with a bit of oil BlueBelle, similar to how you do oven chips. Peel spuds and rinse them in cold water, dry well and I use about a tablespoon of oil to coat them before I put in the fryer. They don't always really crisp up as it does depend on type of potato. You could still par boil if you wanted to speed up the process.

Yes JackyB there are different size baskets. Mine (Philips) makes plenty of chips for three of us.

Willow500 Wed 25-Jul-18 17:40:15

Had one which I donated to my granddaughter when she went to uni but we were at my son's on Sunday and had taken some chips down to have with pizza which they put in theirs. I'd forgotten how well it cooks so ordered a new one yesterday - it's a smaller one so will sit on the kitchen worktop. I used to cook quite a few things in it before but then bought a halogen oven which I love but the chips are not as good!

BlueBelle Wed 25-Jul-18 18:15:47

Thank you Justnoneed sounds good but I may as well stick to my method cheaper ?