Gransnet forums

Food

Ocado

(18 Posts)
Teetime Thu 14-Jun-18 10:14:59

I have got so fed up with my weekly Sainsbury delivery - often gone off fruit and veg, lack of choices, daft substitutes that I have tried Ocado again. Everything was in tip top order, beautifully packed in bags (you have to pay for bags with Sainsbury and then they throw things in the boxes instead including eggs) and on time. Even better it was about £10 cheaper.

goldengirl Thu 14-Jun-18 11:53:28

Yes, I've used Ocado but now prefer Waitrose. One of the positives of Waitrose is that it's more often than not the same driver which is nice - as well as good quality goods and sensible substitutions if required

Grannyknot Thu 14-Jun-18 12:24:20

I've been wanting to try Ocado, so now I shall do that smile

humptydumpty Thu 14-Jun-18 12:59:47

I echo that approval of Ocado. If you return the carrier bags to them you get a refund of 5p per bag.

Squiffy Thu 14-Jun-18 13:01:08

Have used Ocado for years - with the occasional Sainsbury's delivery when I needed specific foods that Ocado don't have. Ocado charge for bags, but they accept any used carrier bags and refund 5p for each one!

I can't fault Ocado! They do a price match, so issue vouchers if something is more expensive than Tesco. They have one hour time slots and you can buy a Smart Pass, which reduces delivery costs.

They text you on delivery day, before the delivery, to let you know who the driver is and whether there are any missing items.

Grandma70s Thu 14-Jun-18 13:19:32

I’ve been using Ocado for 13 years, so they told me when they offered me £10 worth of free wine or chocolate as a loyalty reward. Mostly they are very, very good. I’ve occasionally used Tesco or Sainsbury’s, but it’s almost always Ocado. I choose midweek off-peak slots, and I don't pay a delivery charge.

It surprises me that anyone still slogs round supermarkets doing big shops when this service is available in most (not all) areas. There’s nothing to stop you going to a supermarket as well for a few things you would rather see before you buy, vegetables for instance.

M0nica Thu 14-Jun-18 15:07:00

Grandma70s If I have driven 5 miles to the nearest supermarket to buy veg I might as well do all the supermarket shopping while I am at it. With only 2 in the household it is not very much.

While I was in town doing my weekly shop (I specifically use a town centre supermarket) I went to the bank, booked a hair dressing appointment, went to the sewing shop, bought a jacket in a chairty shop, went to £land for envelopes, Superdrug, for painkillers, and, on the way home, B&Q. Total trip time: 2 1/2 hours and it is all done and dusted until next Thursday.

Squiffy Thu 14-Jun-18 15:23:50

Monica I take your point, but not everyone has a car/can drive! That would mean using public transport and carrying or pulling along a full week’s shopping would be too much for some people.

Telly Thu 14-Jun-18 15:58:09

I often use Ocado, you can usually get a next day delivery slot which is a boon. Delivery people on time and very helpful.

Teetime Thu 14-Jun-18 16:05:54

Waitrose which I love have a very sporadic delivery service here which became quite a problem - so I visit one when I can but Ocado has many Waitrose foods so I'm happy. the delivery pass was £2.99 a month as I don't have a weekend delivery I think that's very fair.

Grannyknot Thu 14-Jun-18 16:12:16

I order all the heavy/big stuff - tinned goods, toilet rolls, drinks etc online and buy the rest as and when. I'm mostly on foot so that works for me.

M0nica Thu 14-Jun-18 16:16:54

Squiffy My point was personal to myself and my circumstances and to Grandma70 talking about having food delivered and just going to the supermarket for fresh food.

I was not making any comment about other people's circumstances, which are many and various.

Squiffy Thu 14-Jun-18 16:49:18

Sorry Monica I obviously misunderstood!

Menopaws Thu 14-Jun-18 22:00:58

Ocado every Saturday, saves my back, does my mums shopping, done in five mins every Wednesday and very pleasant on time driver comes when I'm still in my dressing gown, shopping done in a flash, bags taken back for a refund, vouchers if stuff more than tescos, great offers and smart pass means delivery free, brilliant!

winterwhite Thu 14-Jun-18 22:20:03

Waitrose here. Has all the advantages mentioned for Ocado with more of a sense of knowing you you’re dealing with, and I like their community support projects.

BlueBelle Fri 15-Jun-18 02:38:52

I don’t know if they deliver in my area I ve never seen any vans around I once looked on their website and it said minimum spend £60 which is more than I d spend on a weekly shop so don’t think it would work for me

BlueBelle Fri 15-Jun-18 02:43:41

Just checked and no they don’t deliver in my area so no good for me

Grandma70s Fri 15-Jun-18 07:26:22

The minimum spend is normally £40. Sometimes when they bribe you with a big discount they may set the minimum spend higher.

I don’t find it difficult to spend £40, even though there’s only me. They sell many things as well as food. Household goods, cosmetics, toiletries, non-prescription medication, stationery items, stamps and more.