Gransnet forums

Food

Strawberry jam.

(15 Posts)
loopyloo Mon 18-Jun-18 09:35:34

Have strawberries from allotment so need advice on strabery jam. I tend to make small amounts in the microwave. Setting always a problem. Do you people use Certo?

loopyloo Mon 18-Jun-18 09:36:06

Sorry, strawberry jam.

NfkDumpling Mon 18-Jun-18 10:44:17

I make it the old fashioned way in a preserving pan, but add red currants. About a quarter of a pound red currants to four pounds of strawberries - and I cut down on the sugar too. About three and a half pounds of preserving sugar. It gets a good set with some whole strawberries.

I’ve never used the microwave - does it get hot enough?

etheltbags1 Mon 18-Jun-18 11:05:16

I do mine in the pan and use Cetro and preserving sugar
and a squirt of lemon juice. Taking no chances. It never sets hard jyst semi set but doesn't affect taste.

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Jun-18 11:44:08

It keeps better when made in the pan and I used lemon juice as well.
One year I didn't think it had set and re-boiled it and it ended up like toffee. A bit sloppy is much better.

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Jun-18 11:45:05

You can buy jam sugar but it is more expensive - there are two types, one is preserving sugar which I think is just sugar which melts more easily, the other has pectin in it.

NfkDumpling Mon 18-Jun-18 14:06:51

I get the cheaper one - but can’t remember which it is!

Maggiemaybe Mon 18-Jun-18 14:26:16

Our strawberries, and all the other berries, just get eaten as soon as they're picked straight from the allotment. blush The only fruit crop I even cook is rhubarb. I love this time of year. It makes all DH's the hard work worthwhile.

Fennel Tue 19-Jun-18 12:18:18

I think I heard that it's best not to use over-ripe strawberries as the jam won't set well. Less natural pectin?

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Jun-18 12:59:09

I heard that too Fennel

This is the first year we've had lovely strawberries in a good amount from the garden - I have tried several different varieties over the years but these are plants given by a neighbour, she didn't know what variety they are.

However, they will never make the jam pan!

dionar Wed 20-Jun-18 14:22:22

I also recommend adding lemon juice to balance the sweetness, and lemon is high in pectin.

Marydoll Wed 20-Jun-18 14:38:24

I use both Lakeland's pectin and also add lemon juice. They do one for low pectin fruits.

loopyloo Wed 20-Jun-18 15:01:49

Something else I am thinking of doing is making pate sucree targets and putting a selection of fruits in them with a glaze. I have so far harvested 5 cherries some gooseberries and a few tayberries and quite a lot of strawberries.

Granny23 Wed 20-Jun-18 16:39:36

I make my own pectin from under-ripe windfall apples, You chop them up, simmer them to a pulp, skins, seeds and all, with the least possible water. Then strain through a cloth and store in a jar in the fridge till needed. about half a cup will get a good set with 4lbs strawberries, but if not setting you can always add a little more and boil up again.

loopyloo Wed 20-Jun-18 17:13:09

Very useful tip, Granny 23 many thanks.